Sunday, September 9, 2012

Friends and Family 8


Chapter 8

“You ready?” Sheldon shouted as he stepped out of the car. Steve trotted off the porch, waving to Joshua, who’d come out with him.
“Hold on,” Josh called, walking at a more sedate pace down the steps to the car. “I’ll be in Boston tonight, a meeting with a green contractors’ group, and I’m going to stay overnight at the apartment and do some shopping. Jer will be here if you need him. Do you have my cell and my number in Boston?”
“Yeah,” Sheldon said nonchalantly.
“I know you. Do you need to write it down?”
Sheldon jerked his phone out of his pocket and scrolled down until he came to Joshua Martin’s numbers. He pushed the phone under Joshua’s nose. “I’m a big boy. I have all your numbers.”
“Don’t you get smart with me.”
“Sorry.” Sheldon squirmed. He’d already lied to Josh several times. According to the story, they were going out to the local movie theater for the Christmas marathon of films. If Josh found out he was taking Steve barhopping, he didn’t want to know the consequences, and that would be after Milton crucified him.
Josh gave Sheldon a long studied look. “Is life treating you right? You don’t have the Christmas blues.”
“No, you know Milton’s on vacation, so he’s all over me.”
“I thought that was good.”
“You’re too old for those thoughts.”
“Never. Be good. And Steve, don’t forget—home by midnight. If Sheldon decides on a midnight inspection of the Christmas decor or a late night sandwich, call Jer and have him pick you up. No excuses.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Have fun, guys.” Joshua waved and walked back to the house.
“Shit! I thought he was on to us.” Sheldon giggled.
“Josh will kill me if he finds out,” Steve moaned.
“I don’t plan on getting caught. A killing would be a kindness compared to what Milton would do to me. Are you still game to do this?” Sheldon asked, turning to look in the back seat.
“I passed all my classes. I deserve a reward.”
“That’s my boy.” Sheldon grinned. “We’ll leave the car at the cinema in case someone too nosy drives by and take the train into town.”
“They’d spy on you?” Blade asked.
“Sometimes.” Sheldon shrugged. “It depends how much of a pain in the ass I’ve been.”
“What will happened if we’re caught?”
“Milton will be mad. Are you sure you’re game for this, kid?”
“Mad. Do you mean he’d yell at us if he found out?” Blade looked curious, but Steve shifted uncomfortably in the backseat and was picking at the sleeve of his jacket.
Sheldon shrugged again. He’d been circling around the potential consequences for disobeying one of Milton’s dictates, never actually spelling out the details but dropping frequent hints. How did he explain to his brother that his partner spanked him over his knee? It was the top’s job to explain the whole gruesome idea anyway. Milton needed to open his big mouth; it wasn’t like he was shy. “Milton’s anal about having his directives followed, but what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”
“Come on, Steve. You’re not going to back out now, are you?” Blade said punching the other young man’s arm. “What’s that old guy have on you anyway?”
“Nothing,” Steve said hurriedly, looking down. “It’s just nice living there instead of in the dorms.”
“Josh’s partner is the dean, so Steve needs to stay on their good side. You wouldn’t want to piss off the dean,” Sheldon teased.
“I like them. They’ve been nice to me.”
“Easy, Steve. We don’t have to do this,” Sheldon said, peering in the rearview mirror.
“You won’t tell them?”
“God, no! Do you think I have a death wish?”
“I’m game.” Steve shot both Blade and Sheldon a grim smile. “I’m not going to wimp out now.”
“Attaboy!” Sheldon grinned. He pulled the car into a highly visible space at the movie theater. “Come on; we have to hurry to catch the next train.”
Sheldon fidgeted through the train ride. How had he let Blade talk him into this? Milton would kill him, taking two underage friends bar hopping. Sheldon had told them that they couldn’t drink, but he didn’t think that would hold much water with an irate Milton. Aiding and abetting illegal activity. Milton wouldn’t be charitable about that. Sheldon wasn’t naive; he knew the two boys were using false IDs. Drinking soda or not, they weren’t supposed to be in nightclubs or bars.
In Boston, Sheldon headed away from the cluster of universities. He hoped in the more commonly adult venues they’d be less likely to have serious scrutiny of their IDs. Sheldon had been out with Milton a few times, usually in exchange for suffering through a faculty dinner or worse, an art opening. For some unfathomable reason, both Milton and Tilden had an affinity for avant-garde art, and Sheldon had been the unwilling recipient of their interest. The first bar was rigidly modern with shiny metal and glass everywhere. Sheldon fought his way to the bar and collected two Cokes and a tonic water.
“You’re no fun,” Blade said, making a face as poured the can of Coke into a glass.
“Tough. I told you no alcohol,” Sheldon said, trying to sound authoritative, but fearing it came out more whiney than fierce. “I can’t explain tipsy when we’re supposed to be at the movies.”
“I’m in fucking college. My life’s a fucking mess. I’m going to have a kid, and I have an anal retentive brother who won’t let me have a fucking drink.”
“Keep it down. People are staring at us.” Sheldon made a grab for his brother’s arm.
Blade shook him off and stood up. “If you’re going to take us to a bar full of old guys in suits, I’m at least having a drink, and that doesn’t mean a fucking soda.”
Sheldon watched his brother thread his way to the bar; grabbing him would probably result in a fight. “Sorry about that,” Sheldon said, giving Steve a lopsided grin, “I think my brother’s a little fed up. He’ll settle down.” 
Steve nodded, his eyes tracking around the crowd.
“Yeah, I know, kid, the crowd is a little old. When Blade comes back, we’ll try to find some place that’s a little more fun—maybe with music.”
“Is your brother..?” Steve trailed off.
“Always this rude. He’s a Zath. What do you expect?” Sheldon shot Steve a wide grin before sobering. “He’s a Zath without a top. I remember those days.”
“Milton’s not--?”
“No,” Sheldon interrupted. “He’s being an ass about the whole thing, but that’s my problem, not yours. We’re here to have fun, celebrate the end of the semester and the Christmas holidays. Are you going home for the holidays?”
“Joshua wants me to, but I don’t know.” Steve stirred the straw around his Coke. “It was pretty ugly at Thanksgiving. I think my Dad hates me.”
“He was probably just shocked; he’s had time to get used to it now.”
“Are you always such an optimist?”
“Yeah,” Sheldon gave Steve a big grin. “I have to be, living with Milton, or I’d hide in my room, afraid to put a foot wrong. No, but in all seriousness my parents are cool with Milton.”
“Do they know he spanks you?”
“I’ve never sat down and talked about it with them, but my mom, at least, I think knows. I think they’re glad someone’s taken me in hand. Your dad will get used  to the idea.”
“He thinks I’m a wimp. I was stupid enough to try to explain.”
“Brave and maybe a little foolhardy but not stupid.”
“Stupid. Like tonight. Josh will kill me if he finds out.”
Sheldon secretly agreed. “I’m not planning on telling him, are you? You don’t go all guilty do you?”
Steve laughed. “Jesus! Do you think I’m insane? I’m going to waltz home tonight and announce I went to a bar instead of the movies.”
“Well, I hope not. I’d like to sit without pain before Christmas.”
Blade came back carrying three long necks. Sheldon left his on the table and continued to drink his water.
“I’ve seen you drink beer,” Blade said, pushing the bottle toward his brother.
“Not tonight. I think I’m getting a cold.”
“Bullshit! When did you become such a prick?”
Sheldon shrugged. “I don’t feel like it tonight.” He hadn’t had alcohol without Milton giving it to him since his single run in with drunk driving. It wasn’t an incident he wanted to relive. Milton had been truly angry; he’d used his belt and while Sheldon had lain over his partner’s lap in near hysterical tears, Milton had demanded he not drink without him present. At that moment, Sheldon would have promised him green cheese from the moon. Usually Sheldon liked being a brat, the flirting with the danger of a spanking, the knowledge that Milton was there and unmovable, but that night had been different. Milton had radiated disappointment and almost despair, and even though Milton had reassured Sheldon many times since that the transgression was forgiven, Sheldon had never had the nerve to specifically ask him if the alcohol ban had been lifted. Asking for Coke or tonic water at office parties had become the norm; neither Sheldon nor anyone else even thought about it. He looked at the bottle and pushed it back to the middle of the table. He’d brought two underage kids drinking. Sheldon gulped down a swig of tonic water. Milton would kill him; he’d have to keep this secret. 
“So are you on the wagon now?” Blade continued to needle his brother.
“Why don’t you leave him alone?” Steve said, pushing his bottle back toward Blade and taking a drink of Coke.
“How did I end up with a bunch of pansies?” Blade took a vicious slug of beer. “You bring me to an old guys bar full of suits, and you act like we’re in the middle of prohibition.” Blade drained half the bottle in a single gulp. “Let’s go find a more hopping place.” Blade grabbed his coat and headed for the door.
Sheldon tried calling after his brother, but he didn’t stop. “Come on, Steve. I guess a change of venue is in order.”
Blade looked behind himself and gave them a big grin once they were on the street.  “I guess turning the big three o turned you all tame and domesticated. Let’s find somewhere to dance. I think I heard music and saw crowds over there.” Blade cut across the street and joined a throng of people entering a bar with a throbbing electro beat spilling from the door.
Sheldon looked around. It really wasn’t a bad place. Plenty of couples, all mostly fully clothed, were enjoying the dance floor. Most were straight couples, but none had looked twice when Steve and Blade danced together. Sheldon had even been coerced out on the floor for a set. He took a sip of his virgin something or other and glanced at his watch. He’d have to get them collected, or he’d never make it back home by the midnight deadline. At least with the dancing, Blade had laid off the sauce, and he wouldn’t have to explain a tipsy younger brother.
Sheldon pushed his way onto the dance floor and tapped his brother on the shoulder. “We need to go. We have to catch a train.”
“What?” Blade shouted over the techno beat.
Sheldon pointed at his watch and grab his brother’s elbow. “Time.”
“It’s early,” Blade protested, but Sheldon had a firm grip on his brother’s arm and manage to propel him toward the door and the coat check. 
“We need to get home,” Sheldon said, pushing his brother into his jacket while feeling like he was dressing a reluctant three-year-old.
“We were having a good time,” Blade whined as Sheldon propelled him to the street. “We wanted to stay.” He shot a glance over at Steve who nodded in agreement but with a singular lack of enthusiasm.
“It’s late, and your older brother is going to be an ogre,” Sheldon said, trying to keep his voice light, but starting to feel panicky. Even if they ran, catching the next train was going to be tight. “Come on.” Sheldon gave him a friendly push and broke into a run, chasing the two younger boys in front of him.
Blade laughed and cut down an alley. He spun around, hands on his hips. “Catch me. I dare you, old man.” He darted around a corner, Sheldon on his heels. Two blocks later Blade was still a few meters ahead when he ducked into a doorway. Sheldon pelted into the building, not registering the sign. He skidded down the hallway with Steve clutching his sleeve.
“We’ve got some fresh ones tonight,” a man laughed with his companion.
“Did a red-haired kid run by here a few seconds ago? Looks a lot like me.”
“Sure did, sweetie. You guys make a fine pair. There’s no cover charge for subs of any sort tonight. Go on in.”
“Shit!” Sheldon spat through gritted teeth. “I might as well write my funeral march now.”
“So, you’re running from a top.” The bouncer grinned. “You’re pretty cute. I could give you a safe haven for a few hours.”
“It’s more complicated than that, and I’m taken.” Sheldon stared at the two bouncers. He wasn’t going to appear intimidated by their obvious top on the prowl behavior. They were both good looking, if you liked muscle bound guys with crew cuts. At least they had the good manners not to touch him. “I’m just after my wayward brother, and we’ll be on our way.”
Without a better option, Sheldon grabbed Steve’s elbow and steered him into the darkened bar. At least some gods were looking out for wandering boys, Sheldon thought with a quick look around. No one was wearing leather or chains, and most of the single guys seemed more interested in the football game on the big screen televisions than snagging a stray boy. Sheldon spotted Blade at the bar, flirting shamelessly with a tall older man in a black turtleneck. The guy, swirling his drink, kept leaning toward Blade, almost pinning him to the bar.
“Excuse me. We were just leaving,” Sheldon said, elbowing his way in front of his brother.
“And who are you, little boy?”
“I’m his brother, and I have the car keys.” Sheldon hated when idiot strangers tried to act toppish. One glare from Milton, and they’d scurry for a corner where they belonged. Of course Milton wasn’t here, and Sheldon’s next sighting of his partner wasn’t going to be a pleasant recounting of this little adventure, but a miserable experience over his knees.
“I think he’d rather stay with me.” The man slipped his arm around Blade’s waist.
Sheldon, without thinking, grabbed a drink from the bar and tossed it in the man’s face. “I told you he was with me. Do you not understand English?” Sheldon ducked back as the man made a grab for his collar.
“You, boy, need taught a lesson.” Black turtleneck lurched forward, sending whiskey laden breath into Sheldon’s face. “I think I’ll turn you over my knee right here.”
“I have a top who will take care of that, and he doesn’t play well with others.”
“Good try, boy. I don’t see anyone, and it’s time for your spanking.”
Black turtleneck made a grab for Sheldon, but his hand was intercepted by a tall man in a blazer with a dark braid down his back who was now standing between them. Sheldon, instantly relieved, tried to melt back toward the exit with his now subdued brother and a frightened Steve when a large hand on his shoulder stopped his progress. A larger man was at his elbow, dressed similarly to the other man and looking vaguely familiar.
“Young man, I want a word with you.”
Sheldon turned and froze. He knew the guy. He’d seen him at several of Gordon’s parties a few years back. He was a top, and from the look in his eye, he’d recognized Sheldon.
“Zath isn’t it? Sheldon Zath? You were with that friend of Gordon’s?”
“Milton. You have a good memory.”
“Flattery’s not going to help you here, kid. All of you come with me.”
For a split second, Sheldon thought about running, but an extremely sharp look changed his mind. He followed meekly behind the two gentlemen, his cohorts tagging along with him. They were shown into an office under the cold glare of fluorescent lights and unceremoniously pointed to several chairs along the wall.
“Sit. What on earth were you doing in here without a top? Sheldon, if I remember Milton correctly, he’s going to be distinctly unhappy.”
Sheldon grimaced. Distinctly unhappy was an understatement. It was more like red hot furious.
“Call someone and get a ride home.”
“You can’t hold us here,” Sheldon said with more bravado than he felt.
“Unless I’m losing my edge, your companions are underage. I could call the police if you prefer. I assume they’re carrying false identification.”
Sheldon pulled his phone out of his pocket. Steve looked terrified and on the verge of a major crying episode. He’d curled up in the chair and buried his face in his knees. Blade was looking around, his expression bemused. He grinned at his brother as if unsure what all the fuss was about.
Sheldon started to punch in the number for Milton and then with a second look at Steve called Joshua.
“Hello.” The voice wasn’t sleepy. Jeremiah must have already called his partner about their lack of timely arrival. Jer was a submissive, but he didn’t cover for other boys’ crimes—maybe it was an age thing. On the other hand, Sheldon had known Landon, who was about the same age as Jer, to tell a few white lies to protect miscreants, so it was probably Jer’s position as a dean.
“It’s Sheldon.”
“Where are you?” Thankfully Joshua hadn’t waited for Sheldon to stumble through a painful explanation. 
“Boston.”
“Boston’s a big city. Where exactly?”
“A bar. What’s this place called? Sheldon said to blazer number one. 
“The Whispering Horsemen.” 
“We’re at the Whispering Horsemen. Um—I don’t know how to tell you to get here.” Sheldon saw the big man gesture for the phone, and Sheldon with some relief handed it over. Joshua had said very little, but his tone had been grim. Sheldon swallowed hard; he was far closer to tears than he wanted to admit.
“This is Simon Waverly. With whom am I speaking?”
Sheldon couldn’t hear Joshua’s end of the conversation, but from the quick greeting it sounded as if Simon knew Joshua. He was quickly spitting out directions and a promise to keep a close eye on the boys until Joshua arrived.
“I know Josh and Milton,” Simon said, turning back toward Sheldon, “and you young men are in heaps of trouble. I suggest you sit right where I’ve put you and not move until he gets here. I wouldn’t add to what you have coming.” Simon shook his head as if in disgust and turned his attention back to the other man who had come in with them and who was now lounging against the wall looking menacing despite his long braid and several silver bracelets.
Sheldon wasn’t paying attention to their conversation. A few words drifted past about IDs and negligent bouncers, but he didn’t care. Sheldon hunkered down against his elbows, curling into a small ball. He didn’t want to see Milton’s face, hear the words of disappointment. Sheldon frequently pushed Milton, a smart ass comment here, a wicked move there, but this was different. Those were games he played within a set of defined boundaries. This was open defiance. Why had this ever seemed like a good idea?
Blade looked over at Sheldon, his face still more curious than frightened or concerned, and shifted restlessly in his seat. “Why the fuck are you two sitting there like the world’s coming to an end?” Blade started to stand up.
“Sit down, boy,” Simon thundered.
“You don’t intimidate me, you overgrown hunk of meat,” Blade shouted, fully rising from his chair.
Simon glared at him with a look that would have felled the average man from heart failure at a single glance. Blade ignored it or if anything became more belligerent.
“Blade, sit down, please,” Sheldon pleaded. “Steve’s already upset.”
“Listen to your friend, young man. You’re walking in territory you don’t want to enter,” Simon said, still not touching Blade but standing so Blade was overshadowed by Simon’s greater bulk.
“He doesn’t know,” Sheldon said, desperate to get his brother to sit down. Sheldon could read the signals from Simon. Talking was going to end any second, and Simon was going to swat Blade or more. 
“He’s not intentionally bratting,” Simon said in disbelief, his eyebrows vanishing under his severely cut bangs. “He does know Milton and Josh? You would let a young man come in here who wasn’t a sub of some sort? He’s obviously not a top.”
“He’s my brother, and he got away from me.” Sheldon muttered, keeping his head down.
“You did come to Boston to go drinking?” Simon cut straight to the critical issue. Sheldon didn’t remember Simon well, but the more he talked the more he remembered a demanding top with little wiggle room. 
Simon shook his head, a gesture of both sympathy and exasperation. “You have dropped in a mess, haven’t you?”
Sheldon nodded, not feeling up to speaking.
“You, young man,” Simon said, turning back toward Blade and leveling a full glare his way, “need to sit down and be quiet. You do not want to find out from me what Sheldon and I are talking about, even though Milton is most likely going to be giving you a demonstration. I think you, my boy, have exceeded his level of tolerance, and if you don’t sit down, you will exceed mine.”
“Sit down. Damn it.” Sheldon muttered. 
“You’re a wimp.” Blade said but sat down with an exaggerated sigh.
“Thank you. Stay put.” Simon started to walk back towards the desk but stopped and dropped a hand on Steve’s shoulder. “Hey kid, it’s not the end of the world. If I’m not mistaken, Sheldon’s going to take the brunt for this little misadventure. What are you so upset about?”
Steve curled in tighter ball, burying his face in his knees.
“Oh, kiddo, your top will take care of this. You might be uncomfortable for a few hours, but it’s not worth all this drama. Sit up for me and dry your eyes.” Simon knelt, placed his hand on Steve’s knee, and shook him gently. When Steve continued to cry, huddled against the chair back, Simon scooped up the boy and sat down in the chair, pulling Steve onto his lap. “Kid, I was upset when I found two underage kids trying to start a brawl in my bar, but I can promise you no one is going to get killed here. I won’t let it happen, and I’m not mad now. You wouldn’t believe the trouble I can get into for serving to underage kids.” Simon continued chatting to Steve in a soft tone while running his hand up and down the sobbing boy’s back. He looked over at Sheldon, raising a single eyebrow in a question.
Sheldon shrugged. It wasn’t a story he could explain in five minutes, and while he now remembered Simon, it wasn’t as if Simon was a close friend.
“Is there someone else I should call for him?” Simon asked over Steve’s head when his efforts to calm Steve seemed to have failed.
Sheldon shook his head and then continued at Simon’s questioning look, “He’s not partnered. He’s been staying with Josh.”
Simon seemed to understand, tightened his arm around Steve, and nodded. He continued to murmur in Steve’s ear, too low pitched for Sheldon to make out the words.
“Jesus, man, get a grip.” Blade muttered, kicking the legs of the chair and squirming around to make a face at his older brother. 
Sheldon shook his head, trying to convey to Blade that he should sit tight. Maybe it was the slight buzz from the beer, maybe it was the excitement of galloping around the bars of Boston, or the wear of the upcoming baby, but Blade blew through Sheldon’s warning. 
“I’m so out of here, man.” Blade bounded to his feet and headed toward the door. He might have made it too if the other guy, who’d escorted them into the room, hadn’t moved with the speed of a track star. He caught Blade’s arm, spun him around, and landed a spank that echoed off the walls of the small office. Blade instinctively reached back to protect his vulnerable rear and tried to pull from the man’s grip. “What the fuck! You have no right.”
“Sit down, boy.” Simon’s voice wasn’t loud, but it was said in such a tone that Sheldon felt himself checking to see that he was seated. “Young man, you’ve already upset your friend; you’ve landed your brother in a heap of trouble. I think it’s more than time you think of someone besides yourself. Take a seat and be quiet until Mr. Martin gets here.”
“You have no right to lecture me on my behavior when you let this hired thug beat up on me.” Blade’s voice was belligerent, but he let the thug, as he had called the man, put him back in the chair with only a token resistance.
Blade continued to grumble, alternating angry glances at the two tops and questioning looks at his brother. Sheldon tried his best to provide an aura of calm, even though it wasn’t his forte. It was Milton who could be quiet and calm. God, he wanted his partner. Milton was going to kill Sheldon for this. He’d use something awful like the belt. Sheldon shuddered, fighting the instinct to cringe and cover his butt. He hated the belt; it meant real trouble, not the bratting and teasing that Sheldon enjoyed.
Still immersed in his own troubles, Sheldon didn’t notice Joshua’s arrival until he saw Steve dart across the floor and bury himself in the older man’s arms. Josh, dressed in crisp jeans and well worn work boots, seemed to commandeer the room without a word. Milton could do the same thing, but Joshua’s grim expression could make even the most brash boy freeze and stare at his feet.
Josh stood in the center of the room, apparently oblivious to the surroundings, with Steve completely enfolded in his arms. Silent for several minutes, he remained in place before speaking again. “Is everything settled with you?”
“Yes,” Simon said. “I figure you and Milton will make a lot more impression on our wayward boys then the police ever would.”
“That’s probably true.” Josh smiled slightly, but it never reached his eyes as he beckoned toward the Zath brothers. “Come, you two. It’s already late.” He untangled Steve from his arms, keeping one arm around his waist, and planted his other large hand on the back of Blade’s neck. Blade started to sidle out of Joshua’s grip. “I wouldn’t. I’m not inclined to trust you right now. I suggest you walk with me like a perfect gentleman. Sheldon, take your brother’s hand.”
“He’s not going to run.”
“I hope not, with my hand on his neck, but I want you close enough I can grab both of you. I don’t trust either of you right now.”
That hurt. Sheldon blinked back the tears that were threatening and grabbed his brother’s hand. Joshua never minced words and could be intimidating, but Sheldon had considered him a friend, not in the way Sheldon might be friends with a fellow boy or in the surrogate uncle and top role that Tilden and occasionally Trent would play, but as someone who understood the lifestyle, and he could chat with over dinner. Joshua never hid his toppiness, but Sheldon rarely saw it like this, lit up like a neon sign and overlaid with controlled anger.
Joshua had brought his truck; Sheldon had never seen him drive anything else. Jer had some kind of little car, but it was always Jer who drove the thing.
“Get in the back.” It was an order gruffly given and expected to be obeyed. Joshua waited as Blade and Sheldon climbed in, shutting the door behind them and moving to the passenger side. Sheldon couldn’t hear what Josh was saying, but he could see the top’s lips move as he spoke to Steve. Under the glare of the streetlight, Steve was white, his face wet with tears. At least the shaking sobs seemed to have lessened, and Steve seemed comforted as Joshua bent down, brushed back the untidy bangs, and kissed the boy’s forehead.
The ride back to the apartment was conducted in silence. Blade started to speak but didn’t get further than the first syllable before he was cowed by Josh’s fierce glare and quiet spoken “thank you,” when Blade fell silent. Joshua parked the truck and hustled the three of them upstairs, not pausing to do more than nod at the doorman. 
“Steve, go to bed, and you two,” Joshua said, looking at Blade and Sheldon, “are out here on the sofa bed. I expect it dark and quiet in five minutes. I laid out something for you to sleep in. Now move.”
Sheldon shrugged out of his shirt under Joshua’s steady gaze. He knew he’d lied, but, God, he wished Joshua would stop looking so grim. Sheldon wiped his eyes on his shirt and slid the oversized T-shirt over his head. He wanted Milton. He’d take the half hour of hell to get this over and done with. He would have called Milton, but Josh was closer, and Steve needed him. Sheldon had been responsible for this mess; he could grit his teeth and wait until tomorrow. 
“Go wash your face and into bed. Take your brother with you.”
The bathroom was too small for two. “Go ahead,” Sheldon said, pushing his brother forward and leaning against the wall.
“What’s with the old guy? I didn’t know Josh got this nasty. He’s acting like we murdered someone or something.”
“Just be quiet and do what he says. I don’t want any more trouble.”   
“We were out drinking a little late. It’s not like we’re shit faced drunk or robbed a liquor store. What’s the big deal?”
Sheldon groaned to himself. The easy answer was everything. He’d lied; he’d gotten Steve in neck deep. You didn’t do this kind of thing when you were the senior boy in a relationship. Pleading temporary insanity he didn’t think would help. 
“You understand Milton and Joshua are tops,” Sheldon said to his brother’s back. Why was this so hard to say out loud? It wasn’t as if Sheldon hid that he liked to brat.
“That’s why they’re so ridiculously bossy about everything. Milton’s being absolutely anal about my grades. God, he made me write a summary paragraph three times because it didn’t meet his requirements. ‘That’s not adequate, young man,’” Blade parroted.
“Milton saved your bacon with Mary. You came running here, so I wouldn’t be complaining.”
“Take it easy. I’m not dissing your partner. He’s just—I don’t know—obsessive about little things.”  Blade splashed water on his face and dried it with a hand towel before turning around and looking at his brother. “Hey, don’t be mad at me. You guys have been good to me. I guess I don’t think sometimes.”
Sheldon smiled. His brother looked young and innocent framed in the bathroom lights, water dripping off his chin onto the massive T-shirt that nearly reached his knees. “I’m not mad.”
“Boys,” Joshua said sharply behind them. “Less chatting, more washing. It’s late.”
Blade ducked around Joshua and headed into the living room and bed, leaving Sheldon alone with a very unhappy top. Sheldon, hardly daring to look at Joshua, hustled through his evening toilet and tried to slip past the menacing figure without a word.
“Come here, boy.” Joshua looped an arm around Sheldon’s neck and pulled him close. “I’m not happy. Milton’s not happy, but it will be OK. It’s too late to deal with it now; we’ll sort it all out in the morning when I feel less like wringing your neck.” The last was said with a hint of a smile. Joshua wrapped both his arms around Sheldon and pulled him close, kissing the disorderly red hair. “Two Zaths, I should have known there would be trouble.”
“Is Milton mad?”
“He’ll get over it. He’ll have something to say about tonight’s little adventure. You know that, but he loves you very much, even at your most exasperating.”
“Do you think he’ll use the belt?” Sheldon buried himself tighter in Joshua’s arms. He didn’t want to think about it.
“I would, or the cane. Have you ever known Milton to be unfair?”
“No,” Sheldon said in almost a whisper.
“That’s right. He’s a good dominant, and he loves you. Now bed. Morning will be here soon enough.”


Morning was too early. Sheldon groaned as Joshua shook his shoulder. “Up, boys. Breakfast will be on the table in fifteen.”
Sheldon stretched and rubbed his eyes. Joshua looked remarkably chipper for the amount of sleep he must have had. Sheldon had woken several times during the night, and twice Joshua had been drinking tea and quietly talking to a pale, crying Steve. The one time Sheldon had walked into the kitchen for a drink of water Joshua had chased him back to bed with a kiss and a gentle hand on Sheldon’s shoulder.
Steve was already sitting at the small kitchen table, still white, his head resting on his folded arms but looking considerably calmer than last night. He managed a weak smile. “I guess it’s time for the execution.”
“Breakfast first,” Joshua said, not unkindly, and ruffled Steve’s hair.
“I broke the pledge.”
“Yes, and we’ll talk about it later. I’ll survive the deal we made with Gordon.”
“He’ll cane you.”
“Probably. I’ll survive. Now eat.” Joshua set already dished out bowls of oatmeal on the table and a platter of bacon.
Sheldon picked up a spoon and mechanically started eating the oatmeal. It wasn’t one of his favorite foods, but with Joshua leaning against the counter, arms crossed, Sheldon wasn’t going to complain about breakfast. Blade, less inclined to cooperate, stirred the hot cereal around in the bowl and let in drip off his spoon like slowly melting icicles.”
“Eat, boy.”
“I don’t like porridge.”
“Eat, or stand in the corner. It’s your choice.”
“In the corner,” Blade muttered, mocking Josh.
“I guess the corner it is.” Josh gripped Blade’s elbow, lifted him from the chair, and steered him over to a quiet corner in the kitchen. “Hands at your side. Stand here until I release you.”
“No, I’m not a toddler.” Blade spun around and stared at Joshua.
Unfazed Josh placed his hands on Blade’s shoulders and turned him back around. “No, I never suggested you were. You’re a spinning boy. The corner gives you a chance to settle down before you get in more trouble. I think you’re already in plenty. Stand there. Deep breaths.” Josh stayed behind Blade, his hands resting on the young man’s shoulders until Blade took a deep breath and his shoulders dropped. “Good boy.” Joshua’s hands ran down Blade’s back before he turned his attention back to the two boys still at the table. “You done?”
“Yes, sir,” Steve said, and Sheldon nodded.
“Steve, pick a corner in the living room. Sheldon, I want a little chat with you about the lies you told yesterday.”
Sheldon waited until Steve left the table. “I’m sorry.”
“I know you are, kiddo, but you lied to me, and it’s not like you. You know I’m a top and your friend. Do you lie to your friends?”
“No, sir.” Sheldon dropped his eyes to the table and pushed his spoon around the empty bowl.
“What would most friends do if they found out you blatantly lied to them?”
“They’d be angry, or they’d stop being my friend.”
“I don’t want to do either, but I want to punish you. Clear the air between the two of us so to speak. I’m not your dominant, and I want your explicit permission.”
“Are you going to spank me?”
“I would if I didn’t think Milton was going to thoroughly spank you later today.”
“What are you going to do?”
“If I’m going to punish you, you have to trust me.”
“I do trust you.”
“Thank you. Do I have your permission?”
“Yes.”
“You understand why I’m going to punish you?”
“Yes, I lied to you. I got Steve and Blade in trouble.”
“You alone weren’t responsible for Steve and Blade’s little misadventure, and Milton needs to handle your responsibility for leading them astray. I expect he’s going to call some of what you did last night topping from the bottom. You’re trying to force his hand with Blade, aren’t you?” Joshua’s voice was soft enough that Blade wouldn’t be able to hear Joshua from the corner. “It wasn’t kind to Milton or Blade.”
Sheldon looked up before dropping his eyes back to the table. Had he been topping from the bottom? Blade needed a top; any fool could see that. Why couldn’t Milton see it?
“Think about it. Milton will ask you. Now, let’s take care of the business between the two of us.”  Joshua dropped a hand on Sheldon’s shoulder, encouraged him up from the table, and guided him into the bathroom. “Sit down.” He turned on the tap and wetted a fresh bar of soap.
“No, I hate this.” Sheldon could feel his eyes fill with tears. “Milton doesn’t do this.”
“I’m not Milton. You didn’t leave me a lot of options. I can’t spank you because Milton might hurt you later if you were already spanked, and I think this is too big for lines or corner time. You understand that I don’t tolerate lying?”
“Yes, sir.” Sheldon swallowed hard. His throat already felt sticky.
“Come here.” Joshua was gentle. He wrapped one arm around Sheldon’s shoulders and slowly guided the soap between Sheldon’s lips. “Bite down. Face the corner. Hands on your head.”
Sheldon turned to stare at the striped wallpaper, no longer fighting the tears that were coursing down his face. He could taste the thick tears mixed with the horrible bitterness of soap.
“Blade, go back to your corner,” Joshua barked.
“What are you doing to my brother?”
“Go back to the corner.”
“No.”
Sheldon involuntarily cringed at the words. You didn’t say no to a top, especially no to an irritated Joshua. Sheldon couldn’t see what happened, but from the sound Josh grabbed Blade and landed two hard spanks.
“Stand here. Hands on your head. Sheldon, go ahead and rinse.”
Sheldon spat the foul tasting foam from his mouth and tried to rinse away the aftertaste. He knew he was crying, and his brother was seeing him tear stained and snotty, but he couldn’t stop himself. He’d rather have gone over Joshua’s knee, and he could only imagine how hard he must spank. His grip was bone crushing; it was probably the lifetime of construction work.
“Come here, boy,” The tone was gruff, but the arms were open and welcoming. “I know you hate that. Please, don’t ever make me do it again.”
Sheldon leaned against Joshua, glad to have the strong arms around him. It wasn’t Milton, but it was still comfort he badly needed. “I’m sorry.”
“We’re good now. It’s all taken care of. Let’s get you two home.”
Sheldon groaned. He wanted Milton, but dreaded the spanking that was coming and whatever other punishment Milton dreamed up. He knew he deserved it, but it didn’t mean he wanted it.


Milton met them on the porch, his hands on his hips, and the glare he threw at Sheldon made him drop his head fast. “Go upstairs and wait for me.”
The house was quiet. Sheldon climbed the stairs, accompanied only by whisper of the heating system and the eerie artificial cheerfulness of the Christmas lights wrapped around the banister. He walked into the bedroom, hesitated and then headed to the sitting room and his designated corner. Milton hadn’t said anything, but they’d been together long enough to know what was expected. 
Milton’s belt lay curled on the sofa as menacing as any poisonous reptile. Sheldon shuddered and dove for the corner. He leaned his head against the wall. This was really going to happen. He’d been bad enough that Milton was going to belt him. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
Sheldon shifted in the corner. Where was Milton? It wasn’t like him not to be close, his quiet presence filling the room. Was Milton so angry that he couldn’t stand to look at his partner? Sheldon slumped against the wall, the tears streaming unchecked down his face.
Sheldon, lost in his self-recriminations, didn’t hear Milton come in the room. “Come here, you mess.”
Sheldon slowly turned around. Milton didn’t sound as mad as he’d looked on the porch. “I’m sorry,” Sheldon sobbed out, relieved to find the safety of his partner’s arms. 
“Let’s get this done.” Milton reached around Sheldon, unzipped his pants, and slid them down. “Step out and your boxers too.”
Sheldon stepped out of his pants, hanging on Milton’s arm and feeling surprisingly clumsy. His pants tangled in his shoes, and Sheldon staggered into Milton.
“Stand still. I’ll get them,” Milton said with a touch of exasperation mixed with fondness.
Sheldon nodded, unable to speak. He couldn’t even take his own pants off. Why did Milton put up with him? 
Milton tugged Sheldon’s wrist and dropped his partner over his knees. “I’m going to use the belt. Do you understand why?”
“It was big,” Sheldon choked out, squirming to find a comfortable spot.
“Why is it big?”
God, Milton wanted to have a discussion. Here Sheldon was lying over his partner’s knees, completely vulnerable, and Milton wanted to hold a seminar. 
“I asked a question. Do you need more time in the corner?”
Sheldon swallowed hard. He knew he needed to answer, but he couldn’t seem to make his mouth work.
“All right then back in the corner with you.” 
The tone wasn’t unkind, but the words bit through Sheldon worse than any whip. He’d so failed his partner that he couldn’t even take a spanking. “Please.” The words tried to tumble out of Sheldon’s mouth.
“No, it’s time to stand in the corner,.” Milton cut Sheldon off and pushed him back into the corner. “Hands on your head.”
“I don’t have any pants on.”
“Have you forgotten you don’t talk in the corner?” Milton landed two hard spanks to Sheldon’s bare flesh.
“No, sir.”
“Good. Stand there and think about why we’re at this point.”
Sheldon stood. He couldn’t remember a time that Milton had ever aborted a spanking to make him stand in the corner again. He squirmed, his exposed flesh chilled, and the anger rising as he studied the wall. Sheldon spun around. “I’m not standing over here freezing my damn ass off.”
“Sheldon.” The single word spoke volumes: a warning, a chilling dread, controlled anger, and unveiled disappointment. Milton’s hands were on Sheldon’s shoulder and hip, turning him back to the corner. “Think, boy.” Milton stayed, blocking Sheldon’s exit from the corner. “Hands on your head.”
“I know how to stand in the corner,” Sheldon spat.
“You seem to need a reminder. We’re going right back to the basics, my boy. Quiet. Deep breaths.”
Sheldon struggled against Milton’s hands. It had been years since Milton had stood behind him, confining him to the corner. He was being treated like a boy who didn’t know the rules. He knew the rules. He knew he was a fucking screw up. “I’m not a baby brat.”
“Don’t talk in the corner.”
“You fucking put me in the corner because you wanted me to talk. Make up your goddamn mind!” Milton hated being cursed at and Sheldon knew it. He tensed expecting a hard swat or worse a second round with the soap. Soap wasn’t a hard limit for Sheldon, but he hated it. Childish, disgusting, he thought he’d even described it once as unhygienic. Milton respected this. They’d talked about it. Milton’s deep voice had rumbled against his ear—a quiet understanding of his partner’s needs. Joshua had done it this morning, but he’d been slow, gentle, kind—always kind. Sheldon had done everything but spit in their faces last night, and they were both being kind. He was going to get them caned. “Gordon’s going to cane you.”
“I’ll live.” The hands didn’t leave Sheldon’s hip and shoulder: still kind, still welcoming, still loved. “Are you ready to talk to me now?”
“Yes, sir.” Oh God, it meant he was going back over Milton’s lap with the belt in easy reach.
“Go sit down.” Milton pointed at the sofa.
Sheldon sank down on the sofa, suddenly horribly embarrassed by his bare lower half. He had on a turtleneck and a fleece, not nearly long enough to cover his nether regions.
Milton was behind him, one hand stroking Sheldon’s hair, the other on the back of his neck. “Let’s try this again. Why is this a big deal?”
“I lied to you.” Sheldon pulled his knees up, trying to cover himself with his fleece pullover.
“That’s certainly part of it. This was planned, not the spur of the moment. You understood the consequences if Steve was found in violation of the pledge. Do you think Steve’s going to have an easy day today?” 
Sheldon shook his head. Steve had been terrified. He’d dumped the poor kid in this mess. “Is Josh going to use his belt?”
“No, he doesn’t think Steve’s ready for that, and I agree with him. He’s going to paddle Steve for each offense.”
“How many times?” Sheldon asked, horrified?
“We counted three: lying, breaking curfew, underage drinking.”
“Three paddlings—poor kid. It’s my fault, isn’t it?”
“You aided and abetted, but I wouldn’t call it your fault. You didn’t kidnap Steve and take him to a bar.”
“I knew what would happen if we were found out.”
Milton combed his fingers through Sheldon’s hair. “Steve also knew. Joshua is very upfront about his expectations. Steve knew the consequences.” Milton paused and rubbed his hand over Sheldon’s shoulder. “Do you think Blade understood?”
“He needs a top.”
“You think he needs a top, but whose decision is it?”
“Yours and his, but you’re not doing it. He’s spinning. It’s not fair. Why won’t you help him?”
“This was about getting me to dominate your brother, wasn’t it?”
Sheldon nodded and bit his cheek. Milton didn’t tolerate being manipulated into things.
“Was it kind to land your brother in this kind of trouble when he doesn’t understand what it means to be a submissive?”
“He’s a brat.”
Milton sighed. “It’s not that simple. Blade is a lost young man right now, but that doesn’t make him a submissive. Inside he has to want to submit, behaving like an irresponsible lunatic doesn’t make him a submissive. I’m not using corporal punishment on a young man merely because he’s young, confused, and occasionally foolish.”
“He knows; he just doesn’t know how to ask for it.”
“I hope you’re right. You haven’t left me many options. Do you think that was a kind thing to do?”
Sheldon blinked, trying to stop the tears. Joshua had said the same thing. He hadn’t tried to be unkind. 
“It’s not a nice idea to think about, is it? Being topped for the first time in the middle of a crisis. Blade may in some ways understand this type of relationship. It’s innate for most submissives, but it doesn’t mean he’s ready for me or anyone else to top him. I don’t have that kind of relationship with him, and I’m not sure it’s the right thing. He’s your brother. I’ve told you I’m not entirely comfortable topping your brother.”
“That’s just an excuse. You top Luke and Mike, and you’re not in a sexual relationship with them.”
“They have a full time top.”
“What about Steve and Josh?”
“That’s different.”
“How is it different? You wouldn’t let me get away with that answer.”
“You’re already sharing my time with Tilden’s boys. How fair is it to you if I top another boy full time? Have you thought about these things? How fair is it to me? I’m not inexhaustible.”
Sheldon lost the battle with his tears, buried his face in his hands, and sobbed. “I’m an idiot,” he choked out.
“No, you’re not. You didn’t think through the ramifications of your actions. You wanted to help your brother. This wasn’t the best way, but I’ll make it work somehow.” Milton walked around the sofa, sat next to Sheldon, and pulled his unresisting lover over his knees. His hand landed sharp and crisp.
Sheldon squirmed, but this part wasn’t bad. He’d be hot and sore from Milton’s hand, but he had experience with hands and paddles. They brought safe boundaries, retribution, and forgiveness. Milton shifted and tightened his arm around Sheldon’s hip. Flames landed across Sheldon’s butt with a harsh crack. Sheldon yelped, a terrible high pitched sound of a wounded animal .
“Stop! Red! No! I can’t do this,” Sheldon screamed, struggling hard. It took Sheldon several minutes to realize the belt hadn’t fallen again. Instead Milton’s hand rubbed along his back, and he’d been whispering something.
“Easy. Deep breath. I’m not going to hurt you; you know that.”
Sheldon choked back tears and slumped over Milton’s knee.
“Can you talk now?” Milton asked, his voice warm and soothing.
“Yes,” Sheldon gulped.
Milton pulled Sheldon upright, taking his boy’s chin in his hand and kissing his forehead. “Why the panic? I won’t harm you.”
“I know.” Sheldon tried to duck his head, ashamed. He couldn’t even be a good boy and  take what he had coming to him. What was wrong with him?
“The belt is obviously a hard limit for you. I won’t use it.”
“I was bad. I’m sorry. Use it.”
“Stop. I love you, Sheldon. Using the belt would have been abuse. Lovers don’t abuse each other.” Milton touched his lips to his partner’s forehead. “My boy, my Sheldon. What do we do now?”
“Everybody’s in trouble because of me. I deserve the belt.” Sheldon wanted to disappear into Milton’s chest, not look, hide from this awful day. Milton kept his hand on his boy’s chin forcing eye contact. The brown eyes burned through the skin right to the heart. “Everybody must hate me.”
“No, never.” Again Milton bent forward and kissed Sheldon, brushing the stray strands of red hair back off the hot forehead. “I love you, my impetuous brat.” Milton smiled gently.
Milton was being impossibly kind, saintly kind. Sheldon didn’t deserve this. He was a disgraceful boy—disobedient, disloyal, manipulative, topping from the bottom. He deserved a beating, not gentleness. Milton was too good for him.
“Oh no you don’t. You don’t get to mentally beat yourself up.” Milton stroked his thumb  on Sheldon’s cheek. “Yes, you’re in trouble with me. Steve is in trouble with Josh, and I am somehow probably going to end up spanking your brother today. Josh and I are going to be caned by Gordon. And yes your behavior played a role in all these things happening, but like history it’s not a single event or a single person who brings on catastrophe. The environment created the catastrophe, allowed the spark to ignite. You might have sped things up last night, but all these events would have happened. I’m not oblivious to Blade’s needs. A little less dramatic entry into this world would have been nice, but I’ll work with what I have. Steve was going to push the limits. He’s young. He’s going to grow up over the next few days, but Josh and Jer will take good care of him. He’ll learn, and he’ll be shielded from the worst of his folly. Now what do I do with you, my boy, swimming in an ocean of guilt?”
Sheldon hoped that was a rhetorical question because he didn’t have an answer.
“I chose the belt, not only because you ran amuck last night but because I wanted it clear in your mind that you’d been punished and forgiven. I love you. I don’t love you any less today than I did yesterday.”
Sheldon couldn’t stop the fresh tears. He didn’t deserve anyone as great as Milton. Milton pulled Sheldon tight against his chest.
“I’m going to give you reasons for tears, my boy. Don’t use them all up.” 
Milton pulled Sheldon to his feet, his arm snug around his boy’s shoulders. He guided him into the bedroom and grabbed a ring of keys. Sheldon leaned against his partner and allowed himself to be led. They climbed the stairs to the third floor. Mace and Trent’s apartment as usual wasn’t locked. Milton guided Sheldon through the living room and into a low ceilinged attic under the eaves. Boxes of old papers were piled high against the walls, scattered bits and pieces of furniture were strewn haphazardly across the floor. Milton walked to a large brown trunk and fitted a key in a small padlock. He jerked the lock hard, stiff from lack of use, before it popped open. Milton lifted the lid, and a fine layer of dust swirled through the air. He pulled out the top tray full of small bundles wrapped in cloth. Sheldon started to reach for them. 
“You might not want to open Pandora’s box. I used to play.”
Sheldon knew Milton had flirted with the scene, but they never talked about it. The understanding had been reached without long negotiations or tirades that the two of them didn’t play that way, and Milton hadn’t pressed. “Do you miss it?”
“Sometimes, but I love you, and it’s a trade I’m more than willing to make.”
Milton reached in the trunk, moved a few implements that Sheldon didn’t even want to think about, and pulled out a small paddle of polished wood. It didn’t look bad, not much different than the paddle they already used.
“We already have a paddle.”
Milton nodded. “I want this one.”
Sheldon stayed silent. He wasn’t afraid of the paddle; he’d been paddled many times before. It wasn’t exactly pleasant, but it didn’t seem enough. Milton had agreed this was big. Milton was going to wear a nice set of tram lines because of Sheldon, and he’d fallen apart like a baby brat when the belt had touched his skin.
Milton dropped the tray back in the trunk, shut the lid, and snapped the padlock closed. He guided Sheldon out to the sofa and in one smooth motion pulled Sheldon over his knees. He cracked the paddle down. It didn’t seem worse than the other paddle. It hurt plenty, but it wasn’t unbearable; it wasn’t frightening. It was a top inflicting righteous punishment on his wayward boy.
Milton made several circuits, and Sheldon was crying freely. He clung to the sofa cushion, desperate to keep his hands forward when he felt Milton drop down and land the paddle against Sheldon’s thigh. Sheldon bucked and wailed as Milton peppered blows up and down Sheldon’s thighs and even along the tender inner flesh. It flashed through Sheldon’s pain shocked brain that this was the reason Milton wanted the small paddle. Strokes could land in virgin territory. 
The spanking seemed to go on forever. Sheldon had gone beyond the point of exhaustion and lay draped over his partner’s knees, unresisting and sobbing. Sheldon hadn’t noticed that no new fire was being inflicted on his body.
“I’ve got you. It’s all over now. We’re fine now.” Milton must have repeated those words fifty times before Sheldon heard him and started to pull himself upright, knowing the spanking was finally over. He clung to Milton’s neck, the tears still falling down Sheldon’s face and wetting Milton’s beard. 
“I’m sorry,” Sheldon sobbed.
“It’s over now. Do you believe that, or do I need to spank you more?”
“No,” Sheldon wailed, unbelieving that Milton might consider continuing the spanking. Sheldon hurt. He wanted to lie against Milton and not move. “I’m sore. That paddle was wicked.”
“Oh, sweetie, my boy.” Milton brushed the tears off Sheldon’s cheeks before kissing him. 
“That was worse than the belt, wasn’t it?” Sheldon asked when his tears had finally slowed to a sniffle.
“It hurts more, but mentally it was better for you. Are you happy with your choice?”
“Choice!” Sheldon snorted with a glimmer of his usual humor. 
“You made it pretty clear that the belt was a no go.”
“We’re good?” Sheldon asked, still worried by his inability to accept the belt. 
Milton carded his fingers through Sheldon’s hair. “Always, my boy, but you’re going nowhere except work without me. I’ll keep your rail pass and your car keys.”
“I need the pass to get to work.”
“I’ll escort you.”
“But you have work. You don’t trust me.”
“I’m on vacation.” Milton paused, his hand rubbing Sheldon’s neck. “Right now you’re feeling well punished and maybe a bit sorry for yourself. But how are you going to feel after Gordon canes me? Guilty, and when you feel guilty, you create havoc. Don’t look at me all tragic. I know you, my boy. This incident is over with me, but I don’t want you in real trouble again anytime soon, so if I have to keep a close eye on you I will. It’s not like it’s a hardship to be with my partner.” Milton dropped a kiss on Sheldon’s head. 
The caning -- Sheldon had almost forgotten about it. “How many strokes?”
“I expect the full dozen. I’ve been caned before. It’s not pleasant. I’d rather eat ice cream than feel the strokes of the cane, but it won’t damage me. I didn’t expect to get through this pledge without a few strokes. Steve is young. Josh is a hard line top, but he also trusts a boy’s word. He gave Steve some rein because he believed him.”
“I lied to him,” Sheldon mumbled into Milton’s shirt.
“I know. Did he take care of it with you?”
Sheldon nodded. “He was gentle.”
Milton untangled Sheldon from his shirt and studied his brat’s face. Joshua has very high expectations, but he’s very gentle. He didn’t spank you. There were no marks. What did he do?”
“Washed my mouth out.”
Milton’s eyebrows rose. “You let him?”
Sheldon nodded. “He explained. I know we don’t do it, but it was OK. It scared Blade though, I think. He came in, and Joshua had to bully him into a corner.” 
“It’s going to be a rough few days for your brother.”
“I know,” Sheldon murmured and burrowed further into Milton’s chest.
“I’ll make it work somehow. Do you think you’re ready to go lie down and have a nap? I’m sure you didn’t sleep much last night, and I need to talk to your brother.”
“You’ll come with me.”
“Of course.” Milton tousled Sheldon’s hair.


The bed was turned down, the softest flannel sheets just peeking out from under the coverlet. A T-shirt sat folded on the pillow.
“You put on the soft sheets,” Sheldon said running his hand over the flannel. He loved flannel sheets. They reminded him of his mom. She faithfully watched the weather guy every evening, and at the first hint of snow flurries, the flannel sheets came out. He’d had a pair with penguins sledding and ice skating.
Milton shook out the T-shirt and pulled the fleece and turtleneck off his compliant partner.  He’d done this many times, and Sheldon enjoyed the well practiced care as Milton draped the T-shirt over his partner’s head, careful that it didn’t brush the fiery rump. “In you go, my boy”
Sheldon curled onto his side, arms grasped around his pillows. He knew from experience Milton would stay until he was soundly asleep, a warm hand on his back, gentle breath against his hair. “Will you take care of Blade like this?”
“If he wants; now get some sleep. I know you’re tired, my precious boy.” 
Sheldon nodded, lulled into the comfort and security of Milton’s presence he drifted off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment