Thursday, September 6, 2012

Friends and Families 1


Friends and Family
Chapter 1

Tilden Blake was relieved to see the wide porch and the intricate gingerbread of the Victorian home that he shared with his two partners and two other couples including his long term friend Milton Brown. Traveling to the reality television show’s idea of a fun weekend had gone smoothly, considering they’d been roped into a talent contest, performing a dialogue in Russian, while Cotton and Brad, two of their fellow participants, held up cards with English subtitles. Somehow they’d managed to win a trip to Orlando for a scavenger hunt. Maybe he could talk Milton’s Uncle Doug into helping with the scavenger hunt. He lived in Florida and liked amusement parks. 
The car slowed to a stop; the driver popped out and opened the back doors. Mike, Tilden’s lanky dark-haired partner, jumped out of the car, grabbing his backpack. Tilden shook Luke, who had fallen asleep, his head resting on Tilden’s shoulder.
“Come on, sleepyhead. We’re home.”
Luke opened his eyes, looking as sweet and innocent as the angel perched on the top branches of the Christmas tree with his blond curls and sleepy blue eyes. He rubbed his eyes. “I’m glad to be home.”
“Me too. Up you go now.”
Instead of standing, Luke wrapped his arms around Tilden’s neck. “I’m glad to be home,” he repeated.
“Me too, druzhok. I’m more than ready to be home.” Tilden lifted Luke from the car, put him on his feet, and swatted him lightly. “I’m not carrying you to the house; I’m not built like Milton.”
“Yeah, that’s a good thing. Two Miltons would be scary.”
“Does he still scare you?”
“Only when he has that look. I’d rather not end up on the wrong side of him.”
“Speaking of that look, he’s standing at the front door, hanging on to Mike,” Tilden said with a soft chuckle. “What did we do?”
“He probably found out about the drinking episode.” Luke frowned.
“He doesn’t harp on past mistakes.” Tilden said as he rubbed Luke’s neck. Tilden’s boys were good boys; they might have their misadventures, but Milton understood mild wildness. After all Sheldon, his partner, was insane by any normal person’s evaluation. 
Milton, his arm still wrapped around Mike, came to help with the luggage. “I’ve seen Tilden take less luggage for a semester in Moscow. Are you sure you guys weren’t planning to run away and big, bad Tilden thwarted it?”
Tilden smiled at Milton’s ease with his partners. Milton had read Luke’s trepidation as easily as if there had been a neon sign over the boy’s head and diffused it.
Milton shifted a backpack to his shoulder and dropped a kiss on Luke’s forehead. “My boys survived the wicked TV people and your encounter with Gordon and friends. Did you have a good time?”
“Yeah, except Friday night.” Mike glared at Tilden. 
“And whose fault was that?” Milton asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Ours,” Mike acquiesced easily.
“It sounds like Tilden took care of it properly, or at least that’s what I’ve heard.” Milton ruffled Luke’s hair. “It wasn’t the best choice you’ve ever made, but it’s over now.”
Luke blushed and nodded.
“Now for my half of the story,” Milton said. They were all standing on the porch, but Milton had made no effort to open the door. “You’re not the only ones who have had an eventful weekend. First old friends of Mike showed up.”
“Who?” Mike asked.
“Frank and Caleb.
“Frank, Caleb,” Mike repeated excitedly. “How’d they find me?”
“My understanding is Caleb saw you on television and insisted they come and check on you. Frank is a detective; I guess he had the means to find our address. But that’s the easy part,” Milton continued. “Steve, Joshua, and Jeremiah are here also.”
“I thought Steve went home for the weekend.” Tilden said. Steve was a young freshman, who had only just landed with Jeremiah, a physics professor and a dean, and his partner, Joshua Martin.
“He did, but he came back—Friday morning to be exact. He spent three hours in Boston at the bus terminal before he worked up the nerve to call Sheldon, and I think that only happened because the police were hassling him to move on.”
“Josh was less than happy, I imagine,” Tilden said.
Milton nodded grimly. “Yes, that is not a safe place for a distraught young man to spend the night.” Milton cast a concerned glance at Luke and Mike. “Steve needs your help. He’s not handling what happened at all well. He will relate to both of you better than any of us. You’re his age, and he knows you. I know you’ve only started to find your way in our family, but I need to ask you for your help.”
“We’ll do it,” Mike said and reached for Luke’s hand. 
“They’re up in Mace and Trent’s apartment. Go on. Joshua and Jeremiah can fill you in.” Milton watched the boys hurry inside before turning back toward Tilden and letting his weariness show. “Steve flipped, Joshua spanked him, and Steve came apart. Maybe we’re wrong, and he’s not a submissive. He should have settled, not escalated.”
“We all thought he was a submissive. I don’t think we’re all wrong,” Tilden said. 
“I don’t know.” Milton shrugged. “We can’t take it back, but we may have assumed too much. Joshua can’t get him to settle, and I’ve never seen Joshua not settle a boy after a spanking.”
“He’s forty years older than Steve; young blood might do the trick.” Tilden squeezed Milton’s shoulder. “You guys are careful. I’m sure you read Steve right.”

****
Trent and Mace, the third couple in the house, were in the kitchen manning a pot of coffee and doing something with the oven. Trent waved and pointed the way upstairs, handing Luke a plate of cookies. Mace looked up from the oven and rolled his eyes. “I thought you guys were more trouble than a pack of young colts, but Steve has you beat hands down.”
“Mace,” Trent said in a warning tone. “It’s not always easy in the beginning. I remember some wild times.”
Mace shrugged. “But Joshua’s good at this.”
“It took you a long time to realize that, and you were older and more worldly than Steve.” Trent looped his arm around his partner and drew him in for a kiss. “I know you don’t like upheaval. Mike, Luke, run on upstairs. I think Steve will be glad to see a friendly face.”
Mike and Luke took the stairs two at a time. Luke arrived on the third floor slightly short of breath. As he trailed Mike into the room, he ran his hands through his blond curls. What could he do if the tops were in trouble? He was only a baby, as Sheldon like to point out. 
Joshua was sitting on the ottoman, his hands hanging loosely around his knees, watching his partner counsel Steve. Jeremiah was resting his hand on the boy’s thigh and was talking in a quiet reassuring voice. Steve had turned so he was angled away from both older men and was hunched in a tight ball. 
Joshua stood when Mike and Luke walked in the room and gave them a soft smile. A wide smile broke over Jeremiah’s face. “I see the young-uns survived the weekend,” Jeremiah joked. “Did Tilden fare as well?”
“Jer,” Joshua said, a slight warning in his voice. “They’ll share their adventures if they want.”
“I’m sure you know all about it. You’re a Green Mountain Boy with a badge for paddling and caning,” Mike said sharply and then shrugged and grinned. “We got scorched Friday night, and I’m still not keen on sitting down. Tilden was the hero.”
“From what I heard,” Joshua said, “you two despite your sharp tongue and current lack of decorum should share the hero status. Well done.”
“The tops did most of it. We just made the first call,” Mike protested.
“Don’t sell yourself short. You put the ball in motion.” Joshua knelt down in front of Steve, untangled Steve’s arms, and forced him to look up. “I know I’m not your favorite person right now. Jer and I are going to go downstairs and have some coffee. I thought you might want to talk with your friends alone. Are you OK with that?”
Steve nodded. His cheeks were red and blotchy. Stray tears still streaked down his face. He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand and curled back into a ball.
“OK, kid, we’ll be downstairs.” Joshua kissed the back of Steve’s head before standing and catching Jeremiah’s hand as they walked out of of the room.
Luke dropped down on the sofa and put his hand on Steve’s shoulder. “Are you all right?”
There was no answer. Mike looked exasperated and stood in front of the huddled Steve. “Stop being a drama queen. We’ve all been spanked; it’s not the end of the world. Get over yourself.” Mike grabbed Steve’s shoulders and shook him hard. “Stop acting like such a baby.”
“Mike,” Luke said. “Leave him alone. He’s scared.”
“Fuck! You think I’ve never been scared. You weren’t there when I had all three tops telling me to make a decision after Tilden dragged me home from the coast. I got on with it and took the paddling. Do you think that was easy? We both got paddled this weekend. You don’t see us acting like the world came to an end.”
Steve turned toward Luke; he gave a quick swipe to his eyes with his sleeve. Luke did what he’d seen Tilden do hundreds of times, opened his arms and let Steve bury his face. “It’s going to be all right. You have a lot of people watching out for you right now. Let them do their thing. It makes them happy.” Luke ruffled his fingers through Steve’s hair. “Styopa, vsyo budet khorosho.”
“When did you start with the Russian crap?” Steve asked, unburying himself from Luke’s arms. A trace of a teasing smile glinted across his face before he sniffled again.
“Luka’s our Russian god,” Mike joked. “He ruins the curve for all of us with his perfect test papers. It’s disgusting.”
“Misha, you’re not too shabby yourself,” Luke shot back, feeling his cheeks reddening at Mike’s teasing.
“Yeah, because Tilden sits on me if I don’t do the work. You like russky yazyk. Russian nerd.”
Knock it off.” Luke threw a sofa cushion at Mike.
Mike grinned and rifled the pillow back, hitting Steve on the head.
“Hey, I’m already in enough trouble, guys. Can you fight elsewhere?” Steve clutched the pillow, refusing to allow Luke to take it from his grasp.
“They punished you. It’s all settled as far as they’re concerned.” Mike flopped down in armchair across from Steve. Joshua’s pretty scary for an old guy.” Mike dramatically shivered. “But I think he has an overdeveloped sense of fair play. I’m sure he considers it over and done with.”
“You don’t understand,” Steve whined. “I didn’t tell him everything.”
“So what did you get in trouble for?” Luke asked, rubbing his hand down Steve’s shoulders.
“For hanging out at the bus station in the middle of the night, and I guess making myself a target for bad guys. The beat cop made me call somebody. I think he thought I was going to be a crime statistic. Joshua sure thought I’d been stupid. No hanging out alone in high crime areas.”
“So, it sounds like you settled up,” Mike said.
“That’s not the half of it,” Steve wailed.
“Don’t start crying again,” Mike grumped. “You’ll make yourself sick, and we can’t understand what you’re saying when half of it comes out as sobs.”
“I’m in such deep shit.” Steve hid his face in his hands. “I hacked the school’s computers to prevent my dad from getting the notice of my academic difficulties. Joshua’s going to kill me.” Steve started crying again.
“What did you do?” Luke tried to keep his voice matter of fact. He was inclined to agree with Steve that Joshua was going to kill him.
“What the fuck did you do?” Mike repeated when there was no answer from Steve. Mike glared at Steve for a moment before he headed for the small galley kitchen and came back carrying a glass of water. “Tell us about this computer business.” When there was still no answer except further heart wrenching sobs, Mike tipped the water. It cascaded over Steve’s hair and pooled on his jeans.
“What?” Steve spluttered, wiping the water from his face.
“Tell us what happened, or I’ll bring the pitcher next time,” Mike threatened.
“Like I said, I hacked the college’s computer system and changed my address. I picked one at random. I guess my mail bounced back to the college, and they corrected the address. My dad got the notice just before Thanksgiving. It was ugly.” Steve rubbed his face with his sleeve.
“And you didn’t tell Joshua and Jeremiah,” Luke said, continuing to rub Steve’s back.
“Get it over with. It’s not going to be the end of the world,” Mike said.
“But I’ll get spanked again.”
“Yeah — so?” Mike looked disgusted. “It’s not worth all this anguish. It stings like holy hell, but then it’s over. You’ll probably get short leashed too, which is more of a pain. I think I’m permanently short leashed with Tilden.” Mike made a face and rolled his eyes heavenward. “Every time Tilden gives me a little more room I hang myself. I’ve kind’ve gotten used to Tilden looking over my shoulder all the time. I don’t know— maybe I’m crazy—it’s comforting.” Mike shrugged. “Go tell them.”
“I can’t”
“I’ll go with you and so will Mike.” Luke looked over at Mike, giving him a pleading look. “They won’t shoot you with all three of us there.”
“I’m a mess.” Steve wiped his eyes on his shirt again. “I can’t face all those people.” He gulped. “I didn’t even know who they all were.”
Mike snorted. “Joshua and Jeremiah had a front row seat when I had a complete meltdown, and I’d never met them before. Joshua has some practice with this kind of thing. The strangers are Frank and Caleb, and I think Milton chased them out of the house for a while. They weren’t here when we came in. Plus they’re good guys. Frank’s a cop. He’s seen worse than computer pranks.”
“Come on,” Luke cajoled. “It will be a lot easier once you tell them.”
“I can’t,” Steve hugged his knees. “I don’t have the courage you have.”
“Do you want me to tell them first?” Luke was shocked when he heard that come out of his own mouth. Joshua was an unknown quantity and distinctly intimidating, Milton in overdrive. And he’d just offered to be messenger and ambassador.
“You’d tell them?” Steve asked, and for the first time his voice sounded hopeful. 
“Yeah, that’s what I just volunteered for.”
“They’ll insist on talking to you,” Mike broke in.
“I know,” Steve murmured. “But you guys would stay when I talk to them, wouldn’t you?”
“If that’s what you want. I can brave the tops downstairs, and Mike can stay up here with you.” Luke ruffled Steve’s hair again. “So am I off to talk to Joshua and his faithful sidekick?” Luke wished Steve would say no. Why had he ever agreed to this?
“Please.”
Mike reached over and squeezed Steve’s shoulder. “Good boy or at least I think that’s what a top would say. I have some experience with Joshua’s lectures.” Mike grinned. “It really wasn’t all that bad. I’m sure he’ll kick me out if he does more than lecture, and you’ll want privacy for that, anyway.”
Steve nodded, and Luke headed for the kitchen. It wasn’t hard until he glanced over the rail on the second floor landing. Luke could see a pack of tops in the kitchen. He sank down and watched through the banister rail, feeling like a small child stealing up his nerve to go downstairs. Tilden was stirring jam into his tea. Trent was perched up on the counter, and Joshua was at the kitchen table. Luke couldn’t see Milton, but he had to be just out of view. Jeremiah had his head in the refrigerator; he was the only non top type in sight, and he didn’t count. Luke had never seen him brat or do anything remotely submissive, and if Jeremiah hadn’t announced he was a submissive, Luke would have thought he was vanilla or even a top.
Taking a deep breath, Luke stood and walked down the remaining stairs. Tilden saw him and opened his arms. Luke gladly fled into the warm confines on his top’s embrace.
Nu, chto? What brought you down here?”
“It’s Steve,” Luke murmured into Tilden’s shirt.
“Luke, is he OK?” Joshua had come across the kitchen and placed his hand on Luke’s knee. His gray blue eyes studied Luke.
“Don’t push him. He’ll tell us,” Tilden interrupted.
“Steve’s in more trouble than you thought. He’s afraid to tell you.” The words tumbled out of Luke’s mouth only a fraction away from a disorganized jumble.
“Luka, slow down and tell us what happened.” Tilden ran his hand down Luke’s back.
“Did he do something illegal?” Joshua asked, his eyes hardening.
Milton’s calm deep voices resonated from the far side of the kitchen, where he’d been leaning on the counter, sipping tea. “He’s asked Luke to serve as messenger. Let Luke tell us before we jump to any conclusions. Luke, you know we’re not angry with you no matter what bad tidings you bring,” Milton added in a softer voice.
“Steve hacked the college’s computers.”
“What?” Jeremiah exploded. “Idiot!”
Joshua laid an arm across Jeremiah’s big shoulders. “Let’s see how bad it is before we condemn him.”
“I can’t save him from that,” Jeremiah muttered, “stupid boy.”
Joshua’s hand snaked out and swatted Jeremiah twice hard. Luke heard Jeremiah hiss between his teeth, and he turned his dark eyes on his partner with an accusatory look.
“Don’t look at me like that. You know perfectly well why I swatted you.” Jeremiah nodded, and Joshua turned back toward Luke. “Can you tell us the details?”
“He didn’t change his grades, just his address. He wanted to keep the academic notices from going to his dad. I guess the mail finally bounced back to the college, and the address was corrected. His dad got the notices just before Thanksgiving.”
“That explains the bus station at three in the morning.” Joshua looked at Jeremiah, Milton, and Tilden. “What’s the official policy for this kind of thing?”
“Expulsion,” Milton said succinctly.
“That’s not fair,” Luke protested. “All he did was change his address.”
“That’s all he said he did,” Milton said, capturing Luke in his stern, dark eyes. “Do you believe him?”
“Yes, and it’s not fair. You gave me another chance when you caught me cheating.”
“You have a failure on your permanent transcript, and that wasn’t as serious,” Milton said.
“There’s some wiggle room for academic fraud. I don’t see how I can make any for hacking. It’s an illegal activity,” Jeremiah added and leaned into his partner, looking forlorn. 
“You can’t expel him for this. It will devastate him.” Luke tried to wiggle out of Tilden’s arms. “I thought you were supposed to protect us.”
“Sometimes we can’t,” Tilden said softly, pulling Luke closer and resting his head on Luke’s golden curls.
Trent who had been silently studying his coffee through the conversation, stood, turned toward the sink, and placed his cup in the bottom. “Caleb and Frank have to be close to finishing their walking tour of campus. I’ll grab Mace and Sheldon and get some Chinese food. I’ll waylay our visitors on the way and give you some peace.” He paused before continuing. “Can’t you pledge his behavior? Don’t you fancy tops do that kind of thing?”
“It’s not commonly done in the modern era,” Joshua said. “What do you think, Milton?”
Milton tugged on his beard. His voice was deep and professorial when he finally spoke. “It’s not a simple guarantee, like a warranty on a new car. And even with the pledge, will the college honor it?”
“I’ll personally guarantee that boy will never do anything that stupid again,” Joshua said grimly. “Jer, isn’t there a way to work around this?”
“I’d have to get the other deans to agree and the college president. Computer fraud is very serious. I don’t see how I could get Nancy’s support, and the freshman dean I don’t have a good read on. He was hired from a big state university last year.” Jeremiah shook his head. “I’d have to move mountains.”
“I’d pledge his behavior,” Joshua reiterated. “When I’m finished with him, he won’t want to touch another keyboard.”
“We’d pledge his behavior also,” Milton said, glancing at Tilden who nodded in confirmation.
“I know what that means,” Jeremiah said, “but it’s not going to mean anything to the rest of the deans.”
“We’ll have to make them understand,” Joshua insisted.
“Will Steve even understand?” Jeremiah countered. “You’re vouching for the behavior of a boy who doesn’t understand what it means to be a submissive.”
“He will when I’m through with him. And until he does, he’ll be so short leashed that he’ll think a top is chained to his wrist.” Joshua said through gritted teeth. “I’ll deal with him if you guys can deal with the college authorities. Trust me. I’ll deal with him.”
Luke leaned against Tilden. Joshua was frightening him, and he wasn’t even in trouble. “What happens if Steve screws up?”
“He won’t,” Tilden said, kissing the top of Luke’s head. “Joshua won’t let him.”
“How can you know that?” Luke asked, a slight panic in his voice. 
“We don’t,” Joshua said. “The consequences are fierce if he violates our trust when we pledge his behavior, and I’ll make sure he understands them in all their grim and frightening details.”
“Luka, can you get my bag for me.” Tilden set Luke on his feet and gave him a gentle push toward the bedroom.
Luke could still hear the murmur of the tops’ voices as he entered the bedroom. He bent to pick up the bag but instead unzipped the side compartment and pulled out the small paddle. He ran his hand down the smooth wood surface, and tested its weight as he took a practice swing. He gripped the handle tightly as he returned to the kitchen.
“This is what you wanted, isn’t it?” Luke held out the paddle to Tilden.
Tilden nodded, took the paddle, and passed it to Joshua. Luke shrank away from Joshua as he reached for the paddle.
“Luke, I’m not going to harm him.” Joshua said, giving Luke a small, kind smile. “Wouldn’t you agree that Steve is miserable right now?”
“Yes.”
“I can take some of the guilt and make him feel better. Isn’t that the right thing to do?”
Luke shrugged.
“Isn’t that what Tilden does for you?” Joshua persisted.
“I guess.”
“You guess what?”
“I don’t know,” Luke said, exasperated. “I’m not a top. What does my opinion matter?”
“Wait a minute,” Joshua said sharply. “Whoever said a submissive’s opinion is less important than a dominant’s?”
“No one,” Luke muttered, trying to get out of the icy gaze that Joshua was sending his way. “It’s just...”
“The tops seem to make the decisions,” Jeremiah said, rescuing Luke. “You’re young, and you’re new at this. Right now it may seem the tops are making all the decisions, but they’re actually helping you make the choices you wanted but wouldn’t trust yourself to want or believe. Does it bother you that Steve is not Joshua’s partner?”
“Yeah.” Luke looked at Jeremiah, his dark brown eyes were kind and understanding.
“Luke, I know it’s disconcerting to see a near stranger step in and control someone’s life, but Josh and I have done this before. Steve was spiraling in a circle of failure. He’s not ready for a partner. He wouldn’t understand the commitment as a submissive, and can you see him in a vanilla relationship?”
Luke shook his head. “But I have a partner. What makes me different than Steve?”
“You have Tilden. How well are the partnerships working for most of the people on that TV program?”
“They aren’t. Well, Cotton and Brad seem happy.”
“You have the support here, surrounded by experienced couples. Both you and Mike are happy with an older partner. I think Steve’s going to want a partner more his own age. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so. They will both need to learn the ropes together.” Jeremiah put his large hand on Luke’s shoulder. “Josh won’t hurt him.” He gave Luke a half smile. “I should know. I’ve been on the wrong side of his paddle enough times.”
“I know,” Luke said, trying to return the smile. His voice sounded quiet and small to his own ears. “But Steve’s so afraid.”
“He’ll be a lot less afraid once I’m done. Are you OK with me paddling him?” Joshua asked, the paddle hanging loosely from his hand.
“What if I say no? Will you not do it?”
“We would talk about it. I trusted you enough to ask for you and Mike to talk to Steve. Do you think I would just ignore your advice?”
Luke shrugged. “I guess not.”
“No, I wouldn’t ignore your recommendations.” Joshua bent down and kissed Luke on the top of the head. “Do you think I shouldn’t paddle him?”
“Yes. No. I don’t know.” Luke leaned into Tilden and was relieved when Tilden’s arm snaked around his shoulders. 
“Luka, you can tell us what you think.” Tilden squeezed Luke’s shoulder.
Luke hesitated. “It doesn’t seem right to get Steve in trouble, but I think—” Luke swallowed hard. “You need to paddle him.”
“Thank you,” Joshua said, his voice whisper quiet. “He’ll be safe with me.” Joshua carded his fingers through Luke’s hair and kissed his forehead. “I guess I’d better get this done.”
“Joshua,” Luke said tentatively as the older top turned his back.
“Yes.”
“We promised Steve we’d be with him when you talked to him.”
“Mike’s with him. I’m sure he’ll give me an earful if he doesn’t think I’m treating Steve right.” A small smile crept across Joshua’s face, deepening the lines around his eyes. “I think Mike has me figured out, that I’m not the big, bad wolf I pretend to be. You still haven’t decided.” Joshua smiled again. “I think it will be easier for all of us if I talk to Steve with just Mike, but I’ll come get you if Steve wants both of you. OK?”
Luke nodded. 
“Joshua will be fair,” Tilden said, encouraging Luke to snuggle closer.
Joshua climbed the stairs slowly; the paddle dangled in his hand, rubbing against his thigh at each step. He seemed to be moving as if he were approaching the paddling with as much trepidation as Steve. 
Luke looked around. The kitchen, crammed full of tops a few minutes ago, was suddenly empty. “Where did Milton and Jeremiah go?”
“To try to deal with the college authorities. I think they’re going to have to promise heaven and earth.”
“What did it mean when Joshua said he would pledge Steve’s behavior?”
“It’s an ancient tradition. Milton could explain in more detail, but traditionally the guarantor will take any penalty that would befall the pledged individual.”
“The college’s not going to expel you. That’s ridiculous!”
“No, they won’t.” Tilden kissed Luke on the cheek. “Don’t fret. I’d like to sit and relax a few minutes.”
Luke settled into Tilden’s arms, and they enjoyed a few minutes of silence together.
“No, they won’t expel us.” Milton said from the doorway where he’d just finished a phone call. “I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation with Tilden.” He gave Luke an encouraging smile. “In modern times, families or organizations like the Green Mountain Boys enforce the pledge. I’ve only seen a pledge broken once.”
“What happened?” Luke asked.
“It was when I was very young; I was still Gordon’s boy. I worked in the lodge twice a week with several submissives and another young dominant. Occasionally the drawer was short at night—never by very much, a few dollars here and there, as if a mistake had been made in counting change. One day just by happenstance I’d counted the drawer about an hour before close, and it was correct. No customers paid cash the last hour, and the drawer was off when I recounted it. Only Jayden had access to the drawer. 
“I told Gordon about my suspicions that night. Gordon’s partner Landon was in the room and let off a stream of expletives. Gordon never ignored swearing, but that day it was as if he hadn’t heard. He kept staring of into the distance. Both Gordon and Landon spent the rest of the evening on the telephone. 
“Gordon told me later that Jayden had been caught before, and his partner had pledged his behavior. Two days later, a meeting was held of the general council of the Green Mountain Boys. Jayden admitted his guilt, and his partner Rusty paid back all the missing money plus interest. My grandfather was head of the Green Mountain Boys then. He stepped forward in all his finery, carrying a strap wrapped abound his fist.  Rusty, without a word, walked forward, dropped his trousers, and leaned his hands against the table, providing a ready target. My grandfather landed twenty licks with the strap. Rusty was crying silently, but  Jayden was sobbing. Rusty stood, thanked my grandfather, and shook his hand before enveloping his partner in a hug and carrying him from the room. 
“They were suspended for six months. I don’t think Jayden ever stole again. He became an accountant and did the club’s books for a number of years.”
“Tilden offered his pledge. Would he get strapped if Steve misbehaved?” Luke asked clutching Tilden’s shirt.
“Gordon’s the head of the Green Mountain Boys; he prefers the cane.”
“He can’t cane Tilden.” Luke wrapped his arms around his top’s neck.
“I’ll fucking kill him if he gets Tilden caned,” Mike cursed from the stairs.
“Mike, we don’t talk like that in this household,” Milton said sharply. “Come here.” He pointed to the floor in front of his feet.
Mike stomped down the last few stairs and stopped in front on Milton, his chin jutting forward, his dark eyes blazing.
“Would you like to hear the explanation, or would you prefer to stand in the corner?”
“Sorry,” Mike muttered, not sounding contrite. He shoved his hands in his pockets of his jeans .
“Take your hands out of your pockets and stand up, boy,” Milton barked.
“Do, you always have to be a hard ass?”
“Mishenka,” Tilden said, standing up and moving toward Mike. “Didn’t we have a long enough conversation this weekend?” Tilden put a hand on Mike’s shoulder. “You need to apologize to Milton, and I think some time in the corner is appropriate.”
Mike grimaced. “My behavior was inappropriate,” he ground out. “I beg your pardon.”
Milton’s eyebrows rose into his hairline at the tone.
“Will that do?” Mike hissed at Tilden. 
Tilden grasped Mike’s upper arm, turned him toward the wall, and landed two hard swats. “Try again unless you want a real spanking.”
“Sorry.” Mike reached around and rubbed his butt. “Did you have to do that?”
“Better him than me.” Milton said with a chuckle.”I might have put you over my knee for real.”
“I’m sorry.”
“I know,” Milton said and tousled Mike’s short hair. “You’re like my Sheldon —speak first, think second. Didn’t Tilden want you in the corner?”
Mike nodded and let Tilden guide him into the corner. Tilden stood behind his boy, fencing Mike in with his arms. “Mishenka, I don’t want to be caned any more than you or Luka want me to be. With Joshua on Steve’s case, I think winning the lottery might be more likely.”
“Steve’s a mess.” Mike said, trying to twist around to look at Tilden but was stopped by Tilden’s hand on his hip.
“Mike,” Milton said, his voice rumbling in his throat, “he needs our help. He’s one of us. Think about it.”
Tilden walked over and poured himself a fresh glass of tea. Luke watched him stir in a spoonful of jam and stare into the dark liquid. He gave Luke a thin smile. “Chai budesh’ pit’?”
Luke shook his head. Milton opened the refrigerator and tossed Luke a can of soda. “I’m not the soda police, and I know Tilden lets you have it. Unlike Sheldon you don’t become insane when you have caffeine and sugar.”
Luke popped open the can. “Thank you.”
“You’re welcome. So do you want to tell me about the excitement this weekend?” Milton pulled a second can of soda from the refrigerator and set it on the table with a glass of ice.
Luke took a long draw on the soda. “It was OK.”
“Is that all you have to say?” Milton said with a smile. “Gordon was impressed by the three of you.”
“Is Xavier all right?”
“He’s with Gordon. Anthony won’t get within a hundred kilometers of him. Would you like to have them over to dinner sometime?”
“Yeah,” Luke said and then looked over at Tilden. “Is that OK with you?”
“Sure.” Tilden smiled. “For some reason, I don’t think I can avoid the Green Mountain Boys any longer.”
“You’re right about that.” Milton squeezed his friend’s shoulder and then glanced over at Mike.
“Misha, can you be civil now?” Tilden asked.
“Yes, sir.”
“Come sit down.”
Mike sat down at the table, tucking one leg under him, so his full weight wasn’t on his butt. “Sorry, Milton. I was an ass.”
“Don’t insult yourself, boy. I’m well aware you’re under stress right now. Just remember taking it out on me isn’t free.” Milton kissed Mike’s forehead. 
“What’s going to happen to Steve, besides getting his ass paddled?” Mike asked, his eyes on Milton.
“Josh will ‘paddle his ass’ as you so crudely put it. I assume Josh is doing that now.” Milton gave Mike a wry grin. 
Mike took a swig of soda. “Yeah, Joshua tried to talk to Steve, but it was mostly Steve crying and me and Joshua talking”
“Joshua and I,” Milton corrected and tousled Mike’s hair.”
“What happens after this? Joshua was hedging.” 
“You read him well,” Milton said. “Steve violated the college’s policy on ethical computer use. By all rights, he should be expelled.”
“That’s not fair.” Mike shouted. “All he did was change his address to keep his academic problems from his dad.”
“Don’t shout at me, boy.”
Mike dropped his eyes. “Sorry.”
“I agree with you, but the policy has little flexibility. Jeremiah, Tilden, and I will meet with the deans and the president tomorrow. In order to prevent Steve’s expulsion, we will have to make some extravagant promises.” Milton paused and looked over at Tilden.
“I’m not liking the look you’re giving me,” Tilden said. “What’s the next nasty surprise?”
Milton laughed. “It’s not too nasty— a few extra classes here and there.”
“Yes, and the details.”
“After seeing you on television, parents and students have been clamoring for more Russian and related courses. Everybody wants you for a teacher.”
“And what’s the bad news?”
“Your department head has come up with a scheme to offer accelerated first year Russian during January term.”
“I take it I get no additional help.”
“That’s right, buddy.”
“How many students?”
“Ten to fifteen.”
Tilden frowned. “Do they know how much work that is?”
Milton shook his head. “I’m only doing a single seminar course in January. I can give you a hand.”
“You have your book.” Tilden looked over at Luke and raised an eyebrow. “I think I might have to draft a blond headed assistant?”
“What?” Luke nearly choked on on his soda.
Da. Is this course the price of Steve’s reprieve?”
“It’s the price of getting them to listen to us. I’m sure they’ll want to extract an additional pound of flesh.” 
“To how many people are we going to have to reveal the most intimate details of our lives?” Tilden groaned.
“Hopefully as few as possible,” Jeremiah said from the door, a cell phone dangling from his large hand. “Several deans and the college president. I don’t know how young submissives get themselves in so much trouble.”
Milton coughed. “I’ve heard some of the stories from your younger days. I’m surprised Josh had a full head of hair; he must have a strong set of genes.”
“Can you believe this?” Jeremiah exclaimed. “The distinguished Professor Brown is insulting the Dean of Men in front of current students. Shocking!”
Luke watched the exchange, biting back a smile. Jeremiah eyes were twinkling, and he was clearly enjoying the banter.
“Brat,” Milton growled. “Are you getting too cheeky? I can always have a little chat with Josh. I’m sure he’ll find time to straighten you out.”
Jeremiah chuckled deep in his throat. “Little Steve is keeping both of us busy.” He looked up the stairs. “I take it he’s still dealing with him.”
Milton and Tilden both nodded.
“Have you told them about the other excitement this weekend?”
“I mentioned Frank and Caleb’s arrival,” Milton said dryly.
“Caleb’s a brat and a half.” Jeremiah’s deep voice rumbled in his chest.
“What did you do with them?” Mike asked. “I haven’t seen them for years.”
“I sent them on an extended walking tour of the campus, and then Trent, Mace, and Sheldon met them for dinner at the Golden Dragon.”
“I bet Caleb hated that. He likes to be in the middle of everything.”
“Frank did seem to be dragging him by the collar,” Milton said, his eyes filled with merriment. “How did you know them? It wasn’t clear. Frank kept trying to apologize, and Caleb kept interrupting. I think I managed to glean a fraction of the story—something about bombs, mailboxes and a summer in the mountains.”
Mike blushed. “It was a stupid prank.”
“You must have made a good impression,” Milton soothed. “They were insistent on checking out your living conditions, and I still think Frank is suspicious.”
Mike rolled his eyes. “I expect Caleb put the bug in his ear—any excuse for a road trip. But Frank is a detective; he likes to investigate things thoroughly.”
“I could tell.” Milton said. “Frank seemed worried about you. He’s not a small guy, and I expect he’s more than willing to make his feelings known if he doesn’t think we’re treating you right.”
Further quiet conversation was interrupted with the bang of the kitchen door. Sheldon burst in, laden with plastics bags decorated with red dragons. He tossed the bags on the table.
“Dinner’s here. We weren’t sure how many to get for. I see Jeremiah’s still here. Baby brat still having a meltdown? Hey, you’re letting them have soda.”
Milton grabbed his partner in a crushing hug. Luke thought it was probably the only way Milton was going to get Sheldon to shut up. Trent and Mace started to stack plates on the counter and open boxes of food, pouring rice into colorful serving bowls and piling egg rolls onto a plate. Still hovering in a doorway, a large man, his hair graying at the temples and his face weathered by sun exposure, rested his hands on the shoulders of a smaller man who, from the look of his face, was in his mid forties but was still wearing his brown hair gelled into spikes and his jeans draped low over his hips.
“Frank, Caleb!” Mike ran toward them. The bigger man opened his arms and embraced Mike while spiked hair tried to hug him at the same time.
The big man pushed Mike to arm’s length and scrutinized his face. “Life treating you right?”
Mike nodded and grinned. “You need to meet my partners.”
“Partners?” The big man questioned.
“I told you our little Mikey was all grown up and had two partners.”
“Caleb, I hate being called Mikey.”
“Well, kiddie, too late. You’ll always be Mikey.”
Mike stuck out his tongue.
“Stop it, boys. Some things never change. Aren’t you going to introduce us?”
“Frank Winston and Caleb Strauss, meet my partners Tilden Blake and Luke Griffith. If you haven’t already guessed, Tilden’s the top.”
Both Luke and Tilden shook hands with the new arrivals. To Luke it felt like Frank was sizing them up. He was friendly enough, but he gave Tilden a long look before he allowed the smallest hint of a smile.
“So you’re really in a threesome. I thought Caleb was exaggerating when he told me.”
“Frank.”
“You know you have a tendency to get things confused.”
“I’m not senile, yet.”
Luke watched the two interact. He knew from Mike they were, well, they were like him, but somehow the interaction seemed forced. Maybe it was because Frank never took his eyes from Tilden. He seemed to be studying him as if he were a suspect. Both Trent and Milton moved closer to Tilden, and Luke felt Trent’s hand on his shoulder.
Frank blew air out through his nose, and held up a hand in a calming motion. “Easy guys, I don’t intend any harm.”
“They’re protective,” Mike said, stepping back so Tilden could wrap his arm around Mike’s shoulders.
“I can see that.” Frank didn’t say any more, but Luke knew without Frank continuing that  Frank wasn’t convinced that the relationship was right for Mike.
The men seemed to study each other for several minutes before Milton broke the silence. “Let’s eat before the food gets any colder. I suspect you guys have a lot you want to catch up on. You can take the food into the living room.”
Frank smiled, his green eyes softening. “So you trust us alone with your boy?”
“He’s Tilden’s boy and yes. I’m sure you have questions. A threesome is not common, and you’re only doing your job as a dominant and a friend. I’d do the same thing.”
Frank inclined his head. “Thank you.” He held out a hand to Mike. “Do you still eat like you used to —only chicken nuggets and plain pizza?”
“Trent gets a little heated if we don’t eat some vegetables.” Mike spooned some fried rice onto his plate and tentatively placed an unknown fried food next to it.
“Tempura. You”ll like it. It’s fried, but it was a vegetable once.” Trent said. “I know my boys.”
****

Mike sat with his plate balanced on his knees. He’d eaten most of the food and couldn’t avoid conversation any longer. Caleb had chatted through dinner about the growth of the town and the irritating new neighbor who had no sense of humor. Frank had updated Mike on Tom but otherwise had sat quietly during dinner, watching Mike.
“I’m beginning to feel like I’m wanted for murder,” Mike tried to joke. “Who did I kill?”
“Are you OK, kid?” Frank asked. “This arrangement seems unorthodox.”
“Who is Milton?” Caleb broke in before Mike could answer. “He’s scary, and that Joshua makes me want to run for the hills.”
“I’m good,” Mike answered. “Best I’ve been in a long time.”
Frank watched Mike, not lifting his green eyes from the young man’s face. “Are you sure?”
Mike felt his cheeks color as he realized he’d been shifting his weight over to his hip. “I just got swatted, and it relit the fire from Friday night’s spanking.”
“You’re still sore from Friday?” Frank knitted his shaggy brows together.
“Jesus! It’s not what your thinking. They’re obsessed about consent.”
“They?” Frank questioned. “I thought Tilden was your top.”
“He is.”
Frank raised his brows.
“I’m not in some cult like group where they pass their boys around for sex.”
“”You suggested it, not me,” Frank said mildly.
“You’re twisting my words.” Mike jumped up, his voice rising.
“Then explain it to me.”
Mike fiddled with the stud in his ear. Frank had never been this obtuse before. “Tilden’s the best thing that ever happened to me. He literally picked me up off the floor drunk and stoned. Our alcohol policy’s pretty strict—as in none. I drank Friday night. You can guess what happened.” Mike shrugged and looked down at his shoes. He liked Frank and Caleb, but this was prying.
“No, tell me.”
“It’s none of your damn business,” Mike shouted. “I got paddled. Does that satisfy you?”
From the doorway, Milton’s voice resonated. “Is everything OK?” He was propped against the doorframe, his arms crossed, looking every inch a forbidding top.
“No,” Mike blurted out. “Frank’s in detective mode. He thinks something’s hinky.” Mike suddenly remembered the term he’d heard Frank use when his sixth sense warned him of a crime.
“I thought as much,” Milton said, moving to rest his hands on Mike’s shoulders. “I knew the questions would be upsetting and degrading, but if I were in Frank’s place I would have the same questions. It’s only natural. Our arrangement is unusual.”
“You’re either the best damn liar I’ve ever met, or you’re on the up and up,” Frank said with a snort.
Milton moved over to a small end table and pulled out a pad of paper. He scribbled several lines. “These are the names and numbers of people who can vouch for us. Please feel free to call them.” Milton reached into his back pocket and pulled out a keycard. “This opens my office door on campus. I can point out the building on a campus map. Go and call these people. Satisfy your curiosity.”
“And stop harassing your boy,” Frank finished for Milton.
“Yes, they saw real abuse this weekend. I think I can more than understand Mike’s sensitivity.” Milton moved back behind Mike and dropped his arm around Mike’s neck in a loose hug.
“Sorry, I’m suspicious by nature,” Frank said with a lopsided grin. “I’m going to go make a few calls.” He hooked an arm around Caleb and pulled him up.
“The back door will be unlocked. Let yourself in when you’re finished.”
Milton waited until Frank and Caleb had left the room before turning his attention back to Mike. “I’m sorry that was so ugly for you.” He kissed the top of Mike’s head.
“I think he was born suspicious,” Mike said, trying to dismiss the interview.
Milton’s face broke into a partial grin. “Well, Gordon and friends will give him an earful.”
“You gave him the Green Mountain Boys’ numbers?”
“Of course, who better to vouch for our character.” Milton’s voice became more serious. “Josh’s back in the kitchen with Steve. Are you up to to talking with them?”
“Yeah, how’s Steve?”
“Better than earlier.”


Steve was buried in Joshua’s lap, his face deep in the top’s shirt. Jeremiah was standing behind them, his beefy arms around both his top and Steve. They were whispering together, and while Steve was still sniffling, he wasn’t openly crying.
“Better now?” Mike asked, trying to keep his voice carefree.
Steve didn’t lift his head from Joshua’s shirt. “Better. Sore. I’ve got to talk to the deans tomorrow.”
“We’ll get you through it,” Joshua said firmly. “We’ve got you now.”
“I know,” Steve murmured.
Jeremiah bent down and swung Steve into his arms. “I think it’s time to get the baby into bed. We’ve all had a hard day, and maybe if we cooperate I can convince Josh to let me put some aloe on your flaming tail. Two spankings in one day. You’re not at my record, but I can sympathize.”
Mike looked over curious, and Joshua held up five fingers. “It was a rough twenty-four hours.”
“Sheldon’s record is three, and I sent him to bed and threatened him with the strap.” Milton said with a smile in his voice. “You’re in good company, boy,” He kissed Steve’s forehead.

****

Tilden had a distinct sense of deja-vu as he prepared to walk into a meeting with the deans and President Weathers-Simpson. At least it wasn’t his partners this time. Tilden entered the reading room of the modern language building. It was usually his favorite room on campus with its bookshelves stuffed with leather bound volumes, dark walnut paneling, overstuffed leather furniture, and a gas log flickering in the fireplace, but today the room felt cold and formal. The deans, except Jeremiah, and the president were seated on one side of the room. Clustered in the opposite corner, like the entourage around a prizefighter, were Josh, Jer, Steve, and Milton. Josh must have dressed Steve, who was in a blue blazer, a red tie, and a pressed white shirt. Josh obviously didn’t know how modern college students dressed. Steve looked like he was ready to go on a mission for some ultra-conservative religious organization.
Tilden sat down in a wingback armchair. He’d come directly from class and set the folder of homework by the chair. 
President Weathers-Simpson cleared her throat. “Dean Tyler and Professor Brown informed me last night of a known breach of the college’s computer security by a student. This morning I was presented with a signed and notarized statement from Steven Meyer explaining the extent of the security breach. Measures have already been taken to prevent further tampering. The college’s IT staff has reviewed the breached files and are confident that the explanation provided by Mr. Meyer was complete and truthful and nothing was tampered with except the student’s home address.”
President Weathers-Simpson poured herself a glass of water and took a long sip. Dean Groat smoothed her skirt over her knees, her lips pressed together in a firm line. Tilden knew that the deans had already been fully apprised of the situation, and he was sure she’d been a dissenting voice in the agreement to allow Steve to remain a student.
“As you are all aware, the stated policy of this college,” President Weathers-Simpson continued, “is to expel students found to be engaged in computer security tampering and to refer them to local law enforcement for full prosecution. However after consulting with  both my deans and senior faculty members, the college has decided on an alternate course of action. Steven Meyer, a sealed letter has been placed in your file. If at any time you violate this college’s honor and disciplinary code, it will be opened and this deal is null and void. If you complete your degree with no further incidents, it will be destroyed. Steven, several of the faculty have informed me that they will pledge your appropriate behavior. My understanding is this involves a ritualized pledge between dominants and submissives. I do not fully understand its implications, and I don’t think I want to.” President Weathers-Simpson gave a wry smile before her face returned to a serious countenance. “Steven, do you understand all that this pledge entails?”
Steve looked up from his khakis where he’d been fiddling with the seams. He nodded, and Tilden saw Joshua lean over and whisper something in his ear.
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Steven, even though your—” She paused, searching for a word. “Your mentors did not explain in detail this pledge, my understanding is that the consequences for violating such a pledge can be draconian. Are you in agreement with this arrangement?”
Steve, his blue-green eyes wide in his pale face, looked over at Joshua, who nodded and gave him a small reassuring smile. “I’m not planning for them to need to exercise the consequences.”
“I hope not.” A genuine smile flashed across President Weather-Simpson’s face, making her look warm and parental. “Steve,” she said, using the diminutive of his name for the first time, “I gave you this chance because I decided if you were my son or daughter I would want you to have another chance. Please don’t make them exercise the consequences. They sound terrifying.” She looked over at Tilden, Jer, Josh, and Milton. “I hope if any of my children fall into difficulty with the bumps of growing up and finding their footing, they will be lucky enough to encounter professors, colleagues, or friends willing to go as far as these gentlemen did. They moved mountains for you, and made promised that rivaled politicians for their utopian qualities. I hope you honor their trust.”
Steve blushed scarlet and hid his face in his hands. Josh reached over and placed his hand on Steve’s knee. “We’ve got you, my little urchin, and unlike the politicians, we keep our promises.”
“There are people here,” Steve hissed.
“Yes, and they know full well what we are. I’m not embarrassed to be myself with them and neither should you be. To pull you out of this little fire, we spilled the gory details.” 
Steve turned redder and started to rise from his chair. Josh stood, wrapped his arms around the boy, and pulled him down on the sofa next to him.
“Sit here and be good.”
Tilden watched the array of deans on the other side of the room. At first they looked away, embarrassed by Josh’s physicality with Steve; however, few could refrain from darting a quick glance in Steve’s direction. The touch had never been sexual; but still Josh was sitting with his arm draped over a man’s shoulders, offering affection and reassurance with more than words. 
President Weathers-Simpson dismissed the meeting but remained behind as the deans filed out. She fiddled with her water glass, taking several small sips. Finally, not addressing anyone in particular, she spoke,” My husband has given me tomes to read about power exchanges, all written in words of four syllables or more, and I will confess they have made the relationship no clearer in my mind. All I can say is I’ve seen you with your various partners and whatever you call Steve, and they seem to trust you, so I went with my gut instinct.”
“You made the right choice,” Josh said. “We will not fail Steve, and we won’t fail you.”

****

Mike hunched over his history text, scribbling a few notes in the margin. Reading Marx wasn’t his favorite occupation, but with finals around the corner and Milton breathing down his neck, he tried to concentrate. Milton had a bad habit of quizzing Mike over the reading at dinner and sending him back to read the material again if the answers weren’t complete. Mike let the wave of noise from the nearby tables wash over him. Both Milton and Tilden encouraged Mike to study in the quiet of their offices or in the library, but Mike preferred the bottomless glass by his elbow and whatever sweet Mace had on offer.
“Mikey, can I sit here?”
“Caleb, of course. I’m sick of history.” Mike shut his book with a bang. “Where’s your sidekick?”
“Chatting up Trent. Not that he’s going to tell us any dirt. Everybody tells us Milton and Tilden walk on water. I’m surprised they haven’t been canonized.”
“The Green Mountain Boys give you an earful?”
“About scorched our ears off. Mikey, are you sure you’re good with this?”
“Yeah, why can’t you guys believe me?”
“Don’t get all hot and bothered. You’ll have Trent over here in a minute.”
“Trent,” Mike snorted. “He leaves that kind of thing to Tilden or Milton.”
“I don’t know. I’ve seen him operate. He’d probably refill your soda or decide I need a piece of pie.”
Mike laughed. “You know, you’re right. I hadn’t noticed.”
“That’s what happens when you live with a detective. You become observant, and here comes Mace. Trent sent his spy instead.”
“Can I get you gentlemen anything?” Mace asked, unable to keep the grin off his face.
“What is delicious? Is the borsch good?”
“Don’t you start with those mock dialogues.” Mace punched Mike on the arm. “We’ll make borsch tomorrow, and you can find out.”
“Why do I think I’m not going to like it?”
“It has beets and vegetables.”
Mike made a gagging sound. “Forget it. Even creamed limas would be better.”
“Have we ever served you creamed limas?”
“No, and please don’t.”
“Caleb, do you want anything? Otherwise I need to go wait on the paying customers.”
Caleb looked longingly at the menu on the chalkboard but shook his head.
“Have you eaten?” Mace asked.
“No.”
“Two of today’s special coming right up.”
“We don’t want to intrude.”
Mace laughed. “You already have. Hey, don’t look worried. We’re all used to prying tops, and you’re our guests.” Mace waved off any further protest and headed back towards the counter.
“He’s toppy,” Caleb said.
“I know.”
Caleb shook his head. “I don’t get this. I’ve always thought you were too much of a free spirit for this. You’ve landed with a bunch of guys that you’d probably need a printing press to write all the rules. And you’re happy with this?”
“You knew I was like this. You’re the one who told me.”
“There are submissives and then there is what you’re doing. They are intense and all encompassing. This isn’t just getting your rocks off. I didn’t think you’d go hog wild for it. Milton looks at me, and I want to stand at attention and shout yes, sir. He’s a master. He might camouflage it behind his tweed jackets and spotless manners, but have no doubt, boy, he’s not playing. ”
“Milton has his sweet side.”
“I’ll take your word for it,” Caleb said dryly.
“It’s Tilden who’s my partner, and you can’t deny he’s sweet.”
“All I’ll say is he’s less scary than Milton. I still don’t think I’d want to mess with him.”
“I wouldn’t recommend it.” Mike laughed. “You guys can stop slinking around like second rate private dicks. I’m happy. I’ve never had family before, not that you guys didn’t try, but my parents wouldn’t let me stay. I have family now. Family that will hold tight no matter what stupid thing I do, and you know I can do stupid things. I go home every night to my home, and I’m loved. Fuck! You should understand that.” Mike burst out, covering his emotions with anger.
“Easy, kid. We understand. We just wanted to be sure.”
Trent came running at Mike’s quick outburst. “Should I show our guests to the door?”
Mike almost laughed at the comment. He could imagine Trent, trying to shove the much bigger Frank out the door. “No, I’m fine. It was a misunderstanding.”
“You sure?”
“You don’t need to summon the troops,” Caleb said with an easy smile. “We’ve been prying like detectives in dime paperbacks, all left feet, cheap booze, and bad cliches. I seem to have missed the booze. Too bad. All this spying makes a man thirsty.”
“Caleb,” Frank growled.
“I’m being called back to topic,” Caleb said, unabashed. “Mike’s good here. I’d go stark raving mad, but he’s happy. To each his own.”
“Thanks Caleb,” Mike said, looking at Frank, hoping he’d agree with his partner.
“I may be the police detective, but on these matters I defer to my boy. It takes one to know one,” Frank said with a genuine smile. “His word’s good enough for me.”
“Good,” Trent said. “This whole interrogation business...” Trent didn’t finish the sentence.
“Was rude, violated the rules of hospitality. I can think of a lot of words for it—none of them pleasant,” Frank said. “Some of your friends were more than clear about what they thought about it. I think we should be heading back home. We’ve taken up enough of your time.”
“Stay,” Mike protested. “I didn’t get to visit with you.”
“I don’t think we’d be welcome now.”
“Don’t let Milton hear you say that,” Trent said. “He considers prying the sacred duty of a top. Of course you’re welcome. I think you’re about the only family Mike has besides us. We won’t chase you away.”
“Please, stay,” Mike added, a wistful note to his voice. “I didn’t have parents for parents’ weekend. We can pretend.”
“Your parents haven’t met Tilden or Luke?” Frank asked.
“No, our only communication has been notes through the lawyer who handles the finances. I think they’re glad to be rid of me. They’re free now.”
“Kid, any parent should be proud of you, and we’d be honored to stand in,” Frank said. “Just kick us out when you’ve had enough of the parental visit. I think a few days is about the limit for a college kid. That’s what Tommy tells me before he kicks out the parental unit.”
“Thanks.” Mike smiled and opened his book again. “I better study, or I’ll have the non-parental unit breathing down my neck.”

No comments:

Post a Comment