Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lost and Found 9


Chapter 9

The Olde Curiosity Shop was full with blue-haired ladies sipping tea while their husbands wrestled with folded newspapers and with college students who had either awoken too late for breakfast in the cafeteria or preferred a meal in which the main course was not mystery meat. Luke recognized several of his friends clustered around a table, drinking lattes and laughing. Steve was behind the counter, doing something with a napkin dispenser. He had a spare apron tied around his waist and looked like a busboy.
Trent came over to the table and set a pot of tea and and enough cups for everyone in front of Tilden. “Should I set two extra places for Milton and Sheldon?”
“They’ll be here later,” Tilden said. “How’s Steve holding up?”
“I’m keeping him busy—”
“And out of trouble?” Tilden raised his eyebrows.
“That kid’s a trouble magnet. He about got into with the kids over there. They were changing their order every two seconds; I think intentionally needling him. Mace recognized the signs of an impending thrown coffee cup and rescued him. I’ve been keeping him behind the counter ever since. I don’t want to make him a slave to the dishwasher.”
“Send him out here. We’ll keep him company,” Tilden said.
Trent nodded and a minute later he came back, his hand resting on Steve’s shoulder.  Steve looked petrified, and he kept looking back over his shoulder at the group of kids sitting in the window. Trent pulled out a chair and gently pushed Steve into it. “Take a break, kiddo. I’ll bring you all some food, and this time try to eat something.”
Steve slumped in the chair. He laid his head on the table and covered it with his arms.
“Styopa, sit up.” Tilden put his hand on Steve’s shoulder and shook him lightly. 
“Leave me alone.”
“No, sit up,” Tilden said in a sharper tone.
“He’s starting to get huffy. I’d sit up, or he might haul you up and swat you,”  Mike said.
Steve sat up. His eyes were red, and he looked pale and shaky. “Can’t you leave me alone? I’m sorry I got in a fight with your precious brat, but this isn’t my thing. I’m going home.” Steve started to stand; a choked sob escaped his lips. He pulled hard, but couldn’t get his wrist out of Tilden’s grip.
“Sit down. We’re in public here. Do you want to put a show on for the entire restaurant, especially the hooligans in the window?” 
Luke shivered, even though the words weren’t directed at him. Tilden’s voice had a low intensity that cut through him like a knife.
Steve slumped back in the chair, a picture of defeat.
“Thank you,” Tilden said softly. Luke didn’t see Tilden’s hand come back on the table; he must still have a hold of Steve’s wrist. “I find public displays of dominance embarrassing.”
“You could’ve fooled me,” Mike said with a laugh.
“Mishka.” There was a slight warning in the tone, but Tilden’s eyes were smiling. “Now, Steve, you’re going to sit here and have a nice chat about the upcoming holidays or whatever normal college guys talk about and have some brunch. Nothing scary or weird, I promise.”
“Normal college guys usually talk about girls. I don’t think that will work for us,” Mike said with a smile.
“Not unless there’s something I don’t know about you,” Tilden shot back.
“No, nothing,” Mike replied with a grin.
Mace arrived with trays of food. “I didn’t know if you wanted breakfast or lunch, so I brought both.”
“We’re not feeding the Red Army here,” Tilden said, looking over the food.
“I know but Steve has that pinched look like somebody living off midnight pizza delivery and terrible cafeteria food for too long. Sheldon always has a hollow leg, and those two are no slackers.” Mace winked at Luke and Mike as he put the tray down. “Other tables beckon; I figure you can help yourself to what you want.”
“Styopa, if I let go of your wrist, do you promise me to stay put? I can still do a flying rugby tackle if I need to,” Tilden said with a slight grin.
Steve nodded. “I’ll stay.”
Maladets.” Tilden smiled and started dishing food onto everybody’s plates.
Mace and Trent had outdone themselves. There were two types of egg casseroles, stuffed hard-boiled eggs, cold salads, cucumber sandwiches, and three types of fried potatoes. Tilden placed ample amounts of everything on the plates and passed them around.
Luke dug in. He especially liked the latkes that Trent would make occasionally if he begged hard enough. Tilden didn’t say anything to Steve but handed him his fork and rather pointedly looked at the plate. Steve took a small bite of potatoes, and then it was like the floodgates opened. The potatoes vanished off his plate followed by the deviled eggs. 
Trent walked by, casually filling the water glasses as Steve swallowed another egg. “I guess I found the right combination.”
“I love deviled eggs,” Steve said between bites.
“He wasn’t too shabby with the potatoes either,” Tilden added.
“”Don’t you know the way to a young man’s heart is fried potatoes and sweets. It works every time,” Trent said.
Steve turned red and looked down at his plate.
“Kiddo, we’re just teasing. It’s a rough crowd here. I’m rather partial to fried potatoes myself. Eat up.” Trent squeezed Steve’s shoulder. Trent bent down and spoke in a softer tone. “We like you, kiddo, so you better get used to us.”
Luke could tell that Steve had no idea how to respond to the last comment. He blushed and scraped his fork around his already empty plate, looking uncomfortable. Tilden took the opportunity with Trent’s body shielding them from public view to chastely kiss Steve on the cheek.
“You have four tops looking out for you so relax and enjoy yourself,” Tilden said.
Steve swallowed hard at that comment and reached for his water glass.
“And two of them are Green Mountain Boys,” Trent added.
“What are Green Mountain Boys?” Luke asked. He’d heard the term applied to Milton once or twice but nobody ever explained it.
“You haven’t told them?” Trent asked, giving Tilden an expression of wide-eyed innocence.”
“No, I haven’t, and if you keep looking at me like that someone will mistake you for a brat.”
“Get Milton to tell you, boys, if your partner is having a sudden fit of shyness.” Trent whacked Tilden with a tea towel before heading off to another table, laughing.
“Green Mountain Boys?” Mike asked, raising his eyebrow in an excellent imitation of a top.
“Ask Milton or Joshua. They’re the members. I just went to a few meeting,” Tilden busied himself putting more food on his plate.
“What aren’t you telling us about it?” Mike pressed.
“That we got in rip roaring trouble over it the year we did the summer Russian program together. Tilden prefers not to be on the wrong side of authority,” Milton said with a smile, his eyes sparkling behind his glasses. 
He’d come in with Sheldon when they were talking, and Luke hadn’t noticed them. Sheldon looked amazingly chipper for a man who’d just been spanked. The only sign was that he eyed the hard chair suspiciously before easing down on it.
“If I don’t sit, my ogre will make me kneel,” Sheldon joked.
“Don’t scare the newbie to death.” Milton ruffled Sheldon’s red hair. “You’re married to a Green Mountain Boy. You’re sworn to protect and uphold the power exchange and to aid all tops and brats or more correctly all dominants and submissives  in distress.”
“I give thee my allegiance and my fidelity,” Sheldon smirked.
“Brat.” The tone was both affectionate and exasperated as Milton sat down next to Sheldon and pulled him into a quick hug. “So who brought up the Green Mountain Boys?”
“Trent,” Tilden said.
“What are we going to do with him?” Milton joked. “Revoke his top license?” Milton turned and unhurriedly helped himself to the food.
Mike squirmed in his seat. “Aren’t your going to tell us?”
“Impatient, aren’t we?” Milton said and slowly cut his sausage into minute, perfectly matched pieces.
“Come on. Don’t torture us,” Mike groaned.
“Should I tell them?” Milton consulted with Sheldon. “Do you think they’re worthy of knowing?”
“Most definitely, your grace.”
“I guess the ayes have it,” Milton said, taking a swallow of coffee. “Steve, you might as well hear this from me as from Joshua since you’ve unknowingly fallen in the middle of it.” Milton must have noticed Steve blanch because he quickly continued, “It’s not a bad thing. I think you’ll have a lot of fun with it.” 
Milton took a bit of eggs and chewed carefully as if he were contemplating how to explain the mysterious Green Mountain Boys. “As most of you know, my grandfather is a dominant. Back when he was a young man, these kind of relationships were frowned upon. In some jurisdictions you could even be arrested for participating in a homosexual relationship and a power exchange relationship was never mentioned outside the most private corners of the home. My grandfather had a traditional marriage that resulted in the birth of my father. After the tragedy of his wife’s death, he could no longer live a lie and invited his lover to form a permanent relationship with him. This is the man I call my uncle.
“I didn’t know until my late teens what the relationship entailed. I accidentally saw my grandfather strap my uncle, his lover. It was a startling awakening to what it meant to be a top. Both these men who had cared for me since I was a small child, cleaned my skinned knees, sent me to my room when I was naughty, and loved me as thoroughly as any supposedly normal couple, were in a power exchange, and they told me I was a top. In no uncertain terms I was introduced to the responsibilities I would carry on my shoulders for the rest of my life.
“It was then that my grandfather told me about the Green Mountain Boys. He had helped form the organization back when he was in his twenties. It was a secret group of dominants and submissivess who came together for social events but also to train new tops and to protect submissives everywhere. Luke, Mike, you’ve lived in a discipline partnership long enough to realize that this type of relationship could be abused in the wrong hands. A Green Mountain Boy will intervene. We offer to educate and train the top at first, but if that fails we will bring the full force of the law down on the offending top and shelter the submissive for as long as needed. Steve, that’s why Joshua grabbed you last night, and that’s why I called him when Mike was so upset with Tilden.”
“He would have kept me?” Mike asked, toying with his water glass.
“Yes, if we thought it was needed. I’m too close to Tilden to provide the necessary buffer.”
“But he hadn’t done anything.” Mike said, his voice anguished.
“We know that, honey, but all accusations are taken seriously.”
Mike looked at Tilden and blinked back tears. “I’m sorry.”
“Mishenka, it’s all over. We’ve taken care of it, and now you know.” Tilden reached across the table and squeezed Mike’s hand. “We’ve got you, and you are loved.”
“Thank you,” Mike whispered, wiping a lone tear that was tracking down his cheek.
Steve was staring at Mike and Tilden with fascination. Luke could tell the new brat had a thousand questions but didn’t know where to start.
“They’re sweet together, aren’t they, like a cloying greeting card,” Sheldon said before letting out a strangled yelp. Milton must have just kicked his partner.
Milton cleared his throat. “Let’s get back to the story because I’m sure it’s making no sense to Steve. I finished high school in December, and my grandfather sent me to work for the Green Mountain Boys. Ostensibly I was a ski lift operator and resort jack of all trades, but I was actually apprenticed to learn to become a top. I spent most of the next few years either on my knees or over someone’s lap. I’ve been told I was rather rebellious,” Milton said with a wry grin. “I hope I learned to respect my partner’s willing sacrifice every time he yields to my will.” Milton gave Sheldon a long, searching look.
“You do,” Sheldon said. “I may complain bitterly when it’s happening, but I give myself freely and with absolute trust.”
“I will honor and cherish that trust always.” Milton took off his glasses and wiped his eyes.
“What does this have to do with me? I’m not a member of any secret societies, and I don’t want to be,” Steve said.
“Settle,” Milton said, his voice back to its usual authoritative tone. “Joshua is a Green Mountain Boy, and he takes his pledge to assist submissives in distress very seriously. That’s why he grabbed you last night, and you will be safe with him until you decide what you want.”
“But what if I don’t want this?” Steve said, his voice rising in panic. “It sounds downright medieval—pledges of loyalty, whippings, and God knows what else.”
“I promise, no rack and thumbscrews,” Milton said, interrupting Steve’s tirade. “Just relax and let us do the worrying for a while. We’re tops, so we’re good at it. I know this is a lot to take in, but I think you’ll be far happier if you let Joshua help. He cares, and he’s a good, safe top. In your state you’re an easy victim for a predator. You’re safe with him, and he knows quite a few young and attractive tops when the time’s right. He’s more active in the Green Mountain Boys than I am and knows all the young single members.”
“Fuck you! Who gave you permission to organize my life?” Steve tried to make a quick exit but was thwarted by Trent, who had materialized behind him.
“Was the food that bad?”
“Sit down. We’re not done yet.” Milton was now in full top mode, and his voice was sharp and uncompromising.
“I wouldn’t make him any more irritated if I were you,” Trent said, gently pushing Steve back in the chair. “Stay put.”
“It’s rude to leave a table in the middle of a conversation,” Milton rebuked mildly. “I want your word that you’ll stay put until we’re done.”
Steve looked at him and crumpled his napkin in his hand before unfolding it and smoothing it our again.
“I’ve told you a lot about me and about us.” Milton looked around the table, encompassing everyone in his gaze. “I think we deserve the common courtesy that you’ll stay and hear us out.”
“OK,” Steve muttered. “I don’t have a choice with this top brigade surrounding me.”
“You always have a choice,” Sheldon said. “If you calmly, with a rationally formed argument, tell Milton you want no part of this, he’ll let you go in a flash. The problem is you want it, and you’re too afraid to make the leap. We’ll help, and it’s worth it. Go with it. By sheer dumb luck you just landed yourself in a circle of friends who will always be there. It doesn’t matter if they have to bail you out of jail at two in the morning or sit with you all night at the hospital. Someone will come. You’ll never be alone again. I know you know what it means to be alone and frightened, or you wouldn’t have been at that meeting acting out. You asked for help the only way you knew how; now take it.”
“Well said,” Milton said softly. “Are you with us, boy, or do we abandon you to your fate in the dorms?”
“I’m with you,” Steve whispered.
“Hurrah,” Sheldon cheered. “I’ve exceeded my quota for impassioned speeches.” Sheldon ducked as Milton whacked him with a napkin. “No, seriously you won’t regret it. Well, maybe when you’re bare assed over someone’s knee.”
“Sheldon.” Milton swatted Sheldon again with the napkin. “Don’t ruin the good impression you just made. Steve, Joshua and Jeremiah will help you sort out your school work and any other small disasters that are going on in your life right now. Is there anything you need from me, or can I finish my breakfast?”
“I’m OK,” Steve said.
“You’re a long way from OK but hang in there, and it well get better.”
“I have a question,” Mike piped up. “Tilden, how are you involved with these Green Mountain Boys?”
“You would ask?” Tilden groaned. “Should I tell him?” Tilden shot a teasing grin at Milton.
“It’s a good story, and I think we’ll survive the embarrassment. Tell them.”
“You know that Milton and I did the summer Russian language program in Vermont. This was back before we developed the good judgement we have now.”
“Yeah,” Mike said, “but what does that have to do with the Green Mountain Boys?”
“I’m coming to that. Be patient. The Russian intensive summer program requires a pledge to speak only Russian during the entire program except during an emergency. Going out to a party is not considered an emergency. The Green Mountain Boys’ headquarters are only about twenty kilometers from the school. We went out and enjoyed the parties for a couple of weekends.”
“What’s wrong with that?,” Mike said. “Knowing you, I’m sure you drank responsibly.”
“We were both stone cold sober. Our crime was speaking English,” Tilden said dryly. “Little did we know the head of the Russian program was also on the high council of the Green Mountain Boys. He recognized us ‘openly speaking English’ as he grimly put it.”
“Oh, yes, life became very interesting from there,” Milton said with a small chuckle, “and painful.”
“The best part’s coming,” Sheldon said, not hiding his smirk.
“Let me tell it,” Tilden chided. “If you want your tops to thoroughly embarrass themselves at least let me tell my story at my own pace.”
“Get on with it then.” Sheldon grinned
“Pavel Antonovich took us into the back room. The lodge was an actual ski lodge in the winter, and the back room was the locker room, first aid room, and storage area for the instructors and staff. It smelled like a combination of sunscreen, sweat, and athletes foot powder. I still can’t smell sunscreen and look at skis without feeling slightly queasy. He sat down on the corner of a big desk, the kind you see in classrooms, and parked the two of us in front of him and gave us a blistering lecture in Russian that he simultaneously translated so we wouldn’t miss anything. He went on and on about integrity, honesty, and responsibility. I didn’t understand it at the time, but he kept going on about the oath of the Green Mountain Boys. Milton hadn’t been kind enough to reveal that side of his personality.”
“Low blow,” Milton said with a grin. “I didn’t hide it; I just didn’t shout it out in nice simple one syllable words.”
“No fighting, guys,” Sheldon joked. “We have to get to the punch line.”
“After the lecture, he pointed at two corners and guided us into them with an unpleasant swat to the fanny. I about jumped out of my shoes; no one had ever swatted me before, but after the lecture and with my very real fear of getting expelled, I scurried into the corner.”
“I think maybe fifteen minutes passed and a soft voice ordered us to turn around. A man in his early fifties was standing in front of us. There was nothing exceptionally imposing about his frame or his voice. In fact, I think his hair was thinning and the remaining strands were flecked with gray, but he held me frozen in his gaze, and Milton looked equally spellbound.”
“You can say that again. I would never have taken you there if I’d known he was going to be around. I thought he was in Peru or someplace, exploring unchartered rivers or searching for more mineral deposits.”
“Who was he?” Luke asked
“He was Gordon Lewis, my mentor in the Green Mountain Boys and a dear friend, but not a man to disappoint, and he was most definitely disappointed. He was carrying a cane.
“Tilden, do you remember much of what he said to us before he pronounced judgement? I think I was too busy looking at the cane.”
“He asked you if you thought I was a top or a submissive, and you immediately answered that I was a top,” Tilden said to Milton. “It’s the first time I’d thought of myself that way. He treated us to the shortened version of the lecture that Pavel Antonovich had just given. Then he gave me a choice, either allow him to punish me as he deemed fit for a top who had failed to lead and live up to his responsibilities or go through the school’s disciplinary process, which would most likely lead to expulsion.
“It wasn’t much of a choice. It would have killed my dad if I’d been expelled. As soon as I acquiesced, Gordon had me over the desk in a flash and applied three strokes of the cane. I think it was only his speed and deftness that kept me down on the desk, like the delayed reaction when you pick up a hot pan. He painted my rear with three lines of pure fire. He was so quick I didn’t get a howl out until the last one. He cajoled me back into the corner and had me interlace my hands on top of my head before he started on Milton.”
“I got six with my pants down. I was considered the responsible party. I didn’t sit comfortably for a week. Our grades for the summer program were certainly fantastic after that.”
“You would never cane me, would you?” Luke said, feeling strange butterflies in his stomach at the thought. Steve, who was sitting on the other side of Tilden, looked paler than the white curtains.
“Never.” Tilden kissed Luke’s forehead. “And I’d never punish you like that. I didn’t understand the rules. I couldn’t give informed consent. Gordon used his charisma and skill as a top to coerce me.”
“That was part of the lesson,” Milton said.
“I know, and I know he thought he was doing it for my own good. We’ve had this discussion several times, and I thought we’d decided to disagree. I know you respect and even like Gordon Lewis, but he made a mistake. Both you and he may think the real lesson of my caning was to teach you that you should never have placed a friend in such a situation without full knowledge and consent, but it was wrong. Yes, I’d disobeyed school rules, but I didn’t deserve three with the cane even if it was over my clothes, and if I’d been thinking right I would have realized that all that would have happened at school was a warning. It wasn’t like I was in danger of failing. I’d never been physically punished, and he manipulated me. I understand he taught me much that night about being a top, but there are kinder ways. Speed wasn’t important; I wasn’t expected to be at the front the next morning, shouldering a rifle or leading a regiment of men.” Tilden gave a shrug and a sheepish half smile. “Sorry, this was supposed to be a funny story. I shouldn’t have gone off on a tangent.”
Milton who had sat quietly through Tilden’s final discourse, stood up, walked behind Tilden’s chair, and rested his hands on his friend’s shoulders. “Why didn’t you tell me or him about your feelings?”
“Because he’s an arrogant son of a bitch and would never listen, and I did learn something. Never abuse your position of power,” Tilden said bitterly. “Ya perezhil.”
“I survived,” Milton translated. He reached down and lifted his friend to his feet and enfolded Tilden into a hug. “This isn’t about surviving. It’s about being happy, thriving. Why didn’t you tell me?”
“You like him, and what’s done is done. We can’t change the past. Plus,” Tilden said after a moment of silence, “I didn’t think it bothered me that much. I think having Mike and Luke has changed my perspective. I was damn uncomfortable, and I don’t much like Gordon, but what if it happened to one of my boys?”
“It wouldn’t,” Milton said forcefully. “You’ve never seen Gordon with a submissive in distress; he’s very good.”
“I’ll take your word for it.”
Luke thought from Milton’s expression that he wanted to scold Tilden for his sarcastic tone of voice. Instead after a glance at the men sitting at the table, Milton said, ”You should talk to him. I can arrange it.”
“You’ll make me talk to him.”
“I can’t make you do anything. I can persuade, cajole, harass, but I can’t make you. We’ll talk about it later,” Milton said, looking at the boys still seated at the table.
Luke saw Milton whisper something in Tilden’s ear. It had to be something like “The boys are watching.” because Tilden visibly pulled himself together and sat back down, giving everyone a small smile.
“As you can see even us tops disagree. Hopefully it doesn’t come to blows because I think Milton would beat me every time,” Tilden said a weak grin.
Steve was sitting perched on the edge of his chair, his eyes darting around the room, like a rabbit unsure which direction to flee. Milton reached out and tousled Steve’s hair. “Welcome to our extended family. We have messy arguments also.”
Steve didn’t look reassured and Tilden reached out and put his hand on the young man’s knee. “Trust me; no one will cane you. They’d have to come through me first. I may not be a Green Mountain Boy, but you’d have to do a whole lot more than go to a party or do poorly in school to deserve it in my book.”
“Does Mr. Martin cane?” Steve asked with a small shiver.
“I don’t think so, but you’d have to ask him,” Milton said. “It’s pretty rare on this side of the Atlantic. I have one. Gordon gave it to me after that incident to remind me of my folly, but I rarely use it.”
“It’s wicked,” Sheldon said.
“So what are you young men so deep in conversation over?” Jeremiah said, walking up to the table.
“Caning,” Sheldon replied.
“Did I miss something?” Joshua asked, placing his hand on Steve’s shoulders.
“You wouldn’t cane me, would you?” Steve asked with a slight tremor in his voice.
“You’re not planning on committing a caning offense, are you, boy?”
“What’s a caning offense?” Steve looked at Joshua, his eyes wide with fear.
“It’d have to be pretty terrible,” Jeremiah broke in, “because I’ve done some pretty crazy stunts back when I was younger and not so wise, and he’s never caned me.”
“Steve,” Joshua said softly. “A special implement like a cane would only be used by mutual agreement of both dominant and the submissive. What brought this up?”
“Tilden was talking about the Green Mountain Boys.”
“Do you mean his introduction to Gordon?” Joshua asked with a raised eyebrow.
Tilden nodded.
“Gordon blew it then,” Joshua said. “Tilden, you should come to one of our meetings and discuss it.”
“It was years ago,” Tilden protested. “There’s no need to dredge up the story, call a meeting, and discuss it in front of the lodge. All the rules and rituals you guys like. What are you going to do, dress up in robes and carry staves?”
“Shucks, and I thought our meetings were secret. This is not about punishing anyone or pointing fingers. Our young tops can benefit from the errors of their elders. Gordon freely admits he handled it wrong. And yes, I know the story,” Joshua said, looking at Tilden. “It’s why Milton’s never pressed you to join the Green Mountain Boys. He feels guilty over your introduction, but I think it’s time. You’re in a threesome and a very fine top. You shouldn’t be ignoring the community. The Green Mountain Boys is about teaching and upholding traditions. I’ll bring young Steve to the meetings because he needs to understand these things, and I think we just scared him witless talking about caning. What are my young tops coming to, bringing up such a subject? No common sense.” Joshua reached down and grab Steve’s hand. “Come on, little one, it’s time you cracked the books.”
“I think the same can be said for you two,” Tilden said and ruffled Luke’s curls. “Up you go. Once my parents get back from their shopping expedition, you won’t get anything done. My dad can’t go to a store without causing a minor national emergency. I’m sure he’ll have several funny stories to tell.” Tilden gave both his partners a bright smile that reflected in his eyes. “If we get drafted into the Green Mountain Boys, you want your grades up to snuff or someone just might come after you with a cane.”
“Never.” Mike said with an easy laugh. “You and Milton would go all protective, and they’d be lucky to get out of town with their lives.”
“You’re right, boy,” Milton said and pulled Mike up and landed a light swat on his hip. “No canes, but I think your partner just requested that you leave for home and homework. Now go, boys.”

No comments:

Post a Comment